53✯

Out of exhaustion, Liam fell back onto the damp grass, panting and feeling a little weak.

"You did it," Zayn whispered, kneeling in front of him and joining their heads together. He never thought he'd be so thankful to see a blue sky. "You saved everyone."

"We saved everyone," Liam corrected, yanking Zayn closer so he could hug him. "I'm sorry I made you all worry. I almost didn't get back in time."

"That's not your fault." Zayn breathed deeply against the side of his neck, filling himself with his scent.

"It's fixed, which is all that matters to everyone here." He pulled back and ran a hand through Liam's hair. "And you're safe, which is all that matters to me."

They shared a loving gaze, losing themselves in each other's eyes.

Zyaire returned to Arzhel's side and was also rewarded with a hug. The angel tugged on his shoulders, wanting the demon to crouch so he could wrap arms around his neck.

"You make me so proud," Arzhel whispered.

Zyaire rubbed his back, but a frown wouldn't leave his face. "I did something to the human. I felt it."

Arzhel searched his eyes. A cold sensation
was present on the tips of Zyaire's fingers. The demon's hands were usually warm, but only for him.

"You healed him," Micah spoke with Eloise
closely behind. "I always wondered if my angelic powers passed on to you."

"Angelic powers?"

"I was an angel of healing in heaven. Well, before my powers were stripped because I connected a bond with a demon." Micah kissed Eloise  on the temple. He would give up his wings for his family, and wings were an angel's greatest pride.

"But I barely have any of your angel qualities."

"You do," Arzhel smiled. "You have wings, and helping Harry was not very demon-like. You have softened, even if you don't like to admit that."

"It's not a bad thing," Eloise added, rubbing
Zyaire's arm. "When you got stuck in the vampire world, we left a very grumpy son behind. Well, grumpy is an understatement. You were cruel and not just to angels; you were horrible to Arzhel. I
knew one day you'd change because angels have that effect on you."

Eloise watched Micah, intertwining their fingers. "You're still a grumpy demon, but you're no longer sadistic. You would never kill an angel for fun, not anymore."

"I am ashamed of who I used to be." Zyaire lowered his head, remembering the awful missions Lucifer sent him on. So many innocent angels died from the strength of his hands. He didn't deserve a second chance.

"Not many demons can escape Lucifer. We are the lucky ones." Lilith joined the conversation, naturally drawing closer to other demons.

"He forced you on missions because it was either kill or be killed. In your case Zyaire, it was either kill or be tortured. I've seen the scars on your back. I know what you've been through."

"You have been through enough to send anyone crazy. You didn't let the devil win," Eloise  soothed, "and Lucifer hates losing."

Zyaire squeezed Arzhel's shoulders. The emotion left his face, and he started feeling uncomfortable from all the praise.

"Well, I'll kill him if I ever get the chance."

"One murder I will turn a blind eye to," Arzhel said with a tiny smirk. Zyaire felt an overwhelming urge to kiss him.

"I think I killed him," Scarlet added from a few metres away. "I stabbed a pen in his heart."

"He's not dead. We would have felt it." Lilith glanced her up and down. "You should have double checked, but I like your style."