24✯

TWENTY HUMAN YEARS LATER.

Paws crunched in the snow, making big tracks across the field as Zayn and his pack returned home from a long run. They skidded to a halt by the garden and changed into their human form so they could climb over the fence and run into the house before getting too cold.

"Jason," Zayn breathed, "I noticed how you joined the run three miles after we started. If you're late again, you can run by yourself for a week."

"Sorry Alpha," Jason said, resting hands on his knees to catch his breath.

"How did we do for time?" Zayn asked his dad who stood with a stopwatch.

"You're half an hour later than last week, but that's probably due to the snow and the fact that you're still ill" Ares shut the back door when an icy draft blew in.

"I'm not ill" Zayn said, trying to suppress a cough.

"You've spent the past four days in bed with the flu. This run will either help you or make you worse."

"I'm fine." Zayn moved through his pack and towards the stairs. Only when he was away from everyone, he unleashed a phlegm-based cough which grated his throat, then sneezed and blew his nose till it felt and looked red raw.

When he entered the bedroom, Liam was putting on some woolly socks.

"I heard you coughing your guts up," he said and pulled his head through a forest green knitted jumper that Athena made him a few winters ago.

"I'm fine." Zayn disappeared into the bathroom, and Liam rolled his eyes.

In the passing years, he learnt that Zayn is very stubborn about his health. Even on his deathbed, Zayn would probably convince everyone it was just a cold.

"You're getting into bed after your shower" Liam thought.

"I need to get on with my day. I'm getting better."

" You have nothing to do today. At least relax a little. Going on a ten-mile run wasn't a good idea."

Zayn popped his head out of the bathroom,
waiting for the water to turn hot.

"Will you stop worrying. You haven't been ill since your human days; I think you've forgotten what it feels like to have the flu. I'm not dying."

"And I think you forget how I can feel what you're feeling. You're ill, so stop trying to be tough and just wait it out like everyone else." Liam crossed his arms with a raised brow. "I just want you better."

"Li, I know what I'm doing, so just let me get on with it." Zayn shut the door, leaving his mate to stand by himself in the bedroom.

"Love you," he thought and listened to Liam's chuckle.

"I'll be back in fifteen minutes. If you're not in bed when I return, there will be consequences."

"You're all talk and no bark Liam Payne." Zayn turned and almost jumped out of his skin when his mate was in front of him.

"Don't test me," Liam said, smiling through his fake annoyance.

"Jesus." Zayn covered his heart and sat on the side of the bath. "I hate it when you do that."

Liam rested his hand on Zayn's forehead with a frown.

"You're burning up again. Get in the shower please."

"You're so bossy when I'm ill."

"Oh, so you are still ill" Liam pulled him up and guided him across the bathroom. "Please, I'm so restless when you feel like this."