chapter 25

Sunday, 18th September -> Chewie & Charly's birthday

Owen: 58; Amelia: 52; Luca: 23; Leo: 16; Lily: 16

Ryan: 27; Katie: 26; Riley: 10; Ian&Connor: 8

Liam: 24; Robin: 24; Victoria: 6; Audrey Blake: 4; Madelyn: 9 months

Finn: 24; Dennis: 24; Mason-Anthony: 2

Ruby: 24; Ethan: 25

Mira: 20; Harriet: 21; Eva-Maeve: 3

---

"Hi!", Ruby and Ethan greeted everyone, once again being the first guests to arrive. "You look like crap.", the brunette told her younger sister after hugging her. "What's wrong?", she questioned.

"Brandon showed up here yesterday. So, I have been talking to people non-stop about it, and my mind also won't shut up.", Mira informed her, a little confused about what she was supposed to do now.

"The same Brandon that got you pregnant with my angel-niece?", Ethan meddled after eavesdropping, causing the younger Hunt to nod while she was making a face. "What did he say?"

"Let's keep that for later, I don't wanna tell the same story to everyone about five times a day.", the twenty-year-old begged, already so exhausted by it. It wasn't that she didn't want to give Brandon a chance, but Eva was her greatest love, she had her whole heart, and letting her go was hard for Mira.

"Understandable.", her sister said, before she slowly knelt down. "Where are my birthday boys?", she yelled loud enough for the dogs to hear, so they sprinted towards her in no time. "Woah, hey.", she giggled.

"Mom made them a dog-friendly birthday cake that is even bigger than the one she had baked them last year.", Leo joined the group, watching the animals snuggle with Ruby. They could sense her pregnancy and whenever she came over, Charly and Chewie were on a mission to protect the twins.

"The woman is a little crazy.", Luca added, also rolling over to them to greet the guests. "But it's fine. She's trying to hide it, but dad told us the Jacob-terror has started all over again, this time also with calls. So, no words about anything that could remind her of him or the situation she's in.", he warned.

"Oh shit.", Ethan cursed. He knew how much Amelia was suffering every single year, and also how much she tried to hide that. But he was glad that Owen would communicate the problem, so they could be careful around the neurosurgeon.

"Noted.", his girlfriend answered, grabbing her brother's wheelchair to get up from the floor, causing the twenty-three-year-old to help her up and stabilize her. "And how are you doing, little brother?", she addressed Luca once everyone had spread out and while they were waiting for the rest of the family to arrive.

"Great.", the young brunette instantly responded, obviously lying to her. Ruby just stared at him unamused and rolled her eyes. "What do you want me to say? I am holding up.", he corrected his reply.

"I want you to be honest with me, Lukie.", the twenty-four-year-old told him firmly. "Just because I am pregnant doesn't mean that everybody needs to tiptoe around me or something. If you aren't feeling well, I want to be there for you."

"I know and appreciate that. But you also know that a depression can't just be fixed like that. Especially since there is no cure for the situation I am trapped in until my death.", Luca argued softly.

He was aware of the fact that his family members wanted him to feel good again, but he never fully could. And he didn't want anybody to expect such thing from him for them to be able to feel better. "Liam's here.", he changed the topic, when Audrey brutally rang the bell for too long, which was how he could tell.

---

Once the family had gathered as every Sunday, all of them watched the dogs unpack a pile of presents their parents had bought them, especially Amelia. Meanwhile, everybody was noticing how Finn and Dennis didn't really seem to be on talking terms, which was rather confusing, but also none of their business, so they just let the couple be.

"So, let me know a day or two in advance whenever you need me as Mason's babysitter.", Leo told his big brother after they had started talking about the topic in person. "And well, I can't take Mondays, because of practice."

"I could take those.", Lily meddled. Now that the dogs' birthday had been celebrated a bit and they were happily snacking on their cake, it was time for everyone else to have food as well. Today's lunch was French.

"Honey, don't you think you're busy enough with school, the job at the hospital, and your hobbies?", Owen wondered carefully. He was glad that his daughter wanted to take some responsibility, but she also wasn't supposed to exhaust herself too much.

"It's not every Monday; just those when Finn is working the late shift.", the sixteen-year-old reminded her father. "And I would love to help them out with my nephew.", she pointed out.

"Plus, she likes getting our money.", Finn joked, pretty grateful that his younger siblings were being so helpful with Mason and the babysitting. "But you really don't have to, Lils. If it's too much for you, that's okay. We'll find another solution."

"I want to.", the young brunette shared, glancing at her parents for approval. They shared a look, before her mother shrugged. "I wanna earn some money to buy myself some stuff and to go on vacation with my friends in summer."

"Yeah, alright.", Amelia finally allowed it. "Honestly, we should just try it. But I want you to tell us the truth once it gets too much for you.", she added seriously and raised her eyebrows to undermine how important that was to her. Her daughter nodded.

"Okay, by the way, our birthday party and Ethan and Ruby's baby party is going to be on September 30th. Location is the indoor playground and everything else will soon be shared in a group chat with every guest that's supposed to come.", Finn began another topic.

"Yeah, we'll be a lot of people. Eth counted seventy-eight guests I think, plus Susie and Robert, who I added. I mean, I hope they get along, even though they broke up a few years ago. But for the sake of my birthday and your baby party, I hope they can get it together since I really want them there.", Liam continued.

"I mean, it's been years. And Rob has a new girlfriend.", his same-aged sister said and shrugged. "This food is amazing, Guys. The babies and I definitely approve it.", she let her brother and his ex-girlfriend know.

"Thanks. We had fun cooking it.", Robin shyly informed the family. She loved spending time with her girls, but she loved it even more when their father was around. Still, she wasn't going to say it like that since she didn't want to get hurt again.