Sera- XXXXXXIV

Hot. My skin was blazing hot. I felt like I was burning on the outside and I could feel my clothes sticking to my dampened skin. I finally pried my eyes open to find the source of my discomfort. A massive blanket smothered me. Using what little energy I had, I pushed it onto the floor, sighing as cool air calmed my reddened skin.

My shirt had soaked through and clung to me like wet paper. I picked it off my skin. This wasn't the shirt I'd been wearing before. A needle stuck out of my arm, attached was a long tube and a bag hung on a metal rack. I swung my legs down and met them with cold hardwood floors. I looked around the room and realized I was sitting on the couch, in the living room.

Visions filtered through my mind. What I had thought were mere hallucinations or fragments of dreams may have very well been reality. Vessels voice and silhouette had seemed so surreal that I was almost certain I'd made it up like a mirage. Considering where I was, it may have been partly true.

As if summoned by my thoughts, he strode into the room, quietly as always. I'd relished in the softness of his footfalls, they were a siren call in comparison to the heavy boots I'd been forced to listen to for days on end. He stopped upon seeing me, his mouth slightly agape. Time seemed to stand still as we examined one another from across the room. I feared that if I breathed too hard then he might disappear and I'd be back in that moldy basement.

"You're awake." He said, astonishment evident in his voice. He made his way over to me in hurried strides, a stark contrast to the shocked stillness just moments before. He knelt beside me and his metallic scent flooded my senses. It finally clicked that he was real, this was no hallucination.

I threw my arms around him, completely disregarding the tugging pain from the I.V needle. His arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me impossibly closer. His warmth melted the last of the ice that had frozen pieces of my soul as an act of self preservation. My heart thudded in my chest, but this was far from anxiety. 

"It's okay, you're home now." He whispered into my hair. Home, I was home. I pulled him closer as sobs racked my body. Sobs of joy that he was here, touching and speaking to me. Along with sob of self-pity as recollection of what I'd gone through finally crashed into me. Guilt for not telling him weighed on my chest but relief that he'd found me anyway held up most of the weight. A thousand questions soared through my mind but I pushed all of them back, intent on simply enjoying this moment.

"It seems like your fever finally broke." He said, pulling back and pressing his hand to my forehead. I felt like I'd been hit by a bus. Every muscle in my body ached and my head pounded.

He cupped my face in his hands, gently stroking my cheeks with his thumbs. I relaxed into his touch. He placed a delicate kiss on the tip of my nose before resting his forehead against mine. I wasn't sure how long we stayed that way, but the doorbell interrupted our peaceful moment.

"That's likely the doctor coming to check in on you." He said as he stood, making his way to the door. Cold air replaced his warm presence. I took the opportunity to re-acquaint myself with my surroundings. I wasn't sure how long I'd been gone, but it'd felt like eons.

Deep rumbles of male exchanges came from down the hall. I couldn't make out what was being said. I was only half paying attention as my eyes had caught on my laptop, which was sitting on the kitchen counter with the charger plugged in. I knew that wasn't where I'd left it. Gratitude coiled deep in my chest, not only for my quick thinking, but that it had grabbed Vessels attention. Even if it hadn't led him all the way to me, it had given us a chance.

Vessel returned to the living room with another man on his heels. Neat brown hair and simple brown suit to match, the man was older than me but still young. He carried a black medical bag with him and walked up to me with a kind smile.