[18]

Pulling up to the four bedroom home gave him instant serotonin

Pulling up to the four bedroom home gave him instant serotonin. Mesh could barely put the car in park before he jumped out and did a slight jog towards the door. It was his safe space, the only place in the world where he really felt untouchable. Using the keys in his pocket, he opened the door rushing in to get a whiff of whatever mama was cooking. From the scent he knew it was something good. "Ma! Pops!" he called out loudly while taking off his jacket and placing it in the closet with his shoes.

"Damn nigga! You saw me right behind you," looking over his shoulder at Mesh, he shot up his middle finger, he was hoping he had somewhere else to be.

"Fuck, I should've locked it. And don't step on my mama carpet with yo shoes on."

"Nigga this ain't my first Rodeo, I know my Auntie rules!" Kadeem gave him a look as if he'd lost his mind, "Always got some smart shit to say. That might work in the streets, but not in here."

"I would shoot your ass right now, make you drop right next to my mama favorite rug. You lucky you my mama's nephew." Kadeem spoke truthfully.

"Respectfully, If you wasn't family I would've taken your mayonnaise ass out long ago Kuddie. Slight work." Mesh matched the honesty stepping closer to Kadeem, his skin slightly darker because of his father's dark complexion mixed with his mother's Caucasian one. He and Kadeem shared a few of the same features, they were mistaken for brothers frequently. Mesh's hair was plaited to his shoulders like Kadeem's used to be before he cut it, making him look slightly younger though they were only a year apart.

"I done told y'all about fussing in my house! Act like you was raised with some sense," Kadeem instantly wrapped his arms around Karla's short frame. Apron on with a towel thrown over her shoulder. "Mesh come help me set this table."

"Why you ain't ask me?" Kadeem's eyebrows sunk as he gave his mama an offended glance. Mesh walked past them towards the dining area, if looks could kill he would've dropped dead from Kadeem's glare.

"Because your father wants to speak with you, he's downstairs." He sighed, relieved that his mother wasn't replacing him. Growing up, even with all the trouble that he'd gotten into, his mother always treated him as if he was golden. When Nate was born, that love was never divided. Karla knew how to love on her children equally through their mistakes, making them no less than the other.

"Okay, you okay?" Kadeem grabbed her elbows, examining her face for any signs of falsification.

"Yes son, I'm fine. Go'n now. Then ya'll get ready to eat breakfast in a minute." Sunday mornings was always breakfast at mama's due to Kadeem missing too many Sunday Dinner's. Whatever it took to make sure she saw her son. Kadeem gave her one last look over before walking towards the stairs leading to downstairs. He already knew exactly where Nate Sr. was located. Sitting in front of his 72 inch flat screen watching football with a drink in one hand, a burning cigar in the other. Kadeem walked to the built in bar of the man cave and grabbed a cold Corona. The bottle opener near the sink allowed him to get the cold liquid down his throat in no time. It made him realize that he was thirsty. He traveled around the sofa, standing purposefully because he wanted to make the conversation quick.