Prologue

Brooklyn streets were known for keeping busy, and they were

Brooklyn streets were known for keeping busy, and they were. On a typical Saturday night like this one, most were partying. In uptown getting wasted off cheap liquor or getting high off drugs with hopes to forget about their shitty lives until Monday morning. You had ones searching for their next one-night stand, or a scoping out a goofy to set up. All activities were the norm there.

Except for Brownsville Brooklyn, their type of thrillseeking was never on friendly terms. Ain't too many parties and club outings. No uppity music playing while people traveled in and out of Nordstorm spending beyond their means. Nah. The close you got to a party was standing outside of the Baptist Church near Marcus Garvey Apartments, somebody always had music blasting from their car stereo while others smoked, danced, and got drunk. If you weren't welcomed on Garvey then the same type of function was happening on your own block. That was the nightlife.

"Wooo"

The call echoed through the grimy dark alley, grabbing the attention of the bodies that occupied its corners. Abandoned garbage overfilled the graffiti-covered bins filling the air with unpleasant aromas. The sounds of the scuffle behind purposely went unheard, right along with the quick rounds released from the semiautomatic weapon that caused brains to scatter on the concrete beneath. The call was to inform the others to mind their business. A whistle of the lips caused feet to move quickly in opposite directions. Everyone close by knew that they ain't heard or seen nothing.

"You got that?" The 29-degree coldness increased the deepness of his voice. So he blew warm breath into the palms of his dirty hands and rubbed them against each other. His eyes roamed the figure next to him ignoring the constant vibrations in his right pocket. Business always came first. "Come on fuck, I ain't got all day."

"Don't you see me getting it, chill out yo!" The 5 foot 11 male replied as he leaned over in the trunk of the car retrieving a black duffle bag.  

Quickly a hand went up to remove the thick black beanie worn to protect his head. He scratched between his low-cut waves and looked around confused. The still-warm metal he'd used just minutes ago revealed itself back into the world. "Chill out?" he questioned pressing it hard into his temple.

"Man," Smacking of the lips in an annoyed manner followed as he put up surrendering hands dropping the duffel to the ground. "I got it right here." He kept eye contact as he studied his eyes, familiar with their coldness, trying his best to ignore the metal digging into his temple. It wasn't the first time his cousin had threatened his life physically. 

"Pick my shit up," spit flew from the full plump lips and onto the cold dirty ground inches away from where they stood. "Since you want me to chill out. Ima' do just that, hold my shit until tomorrow." Not before painfully digging more of the pistol into his dome, he placed the gun back into his pocket and walked away. 

"Fuck is you talking about?" watching the back of the black hoodie as it began to disappear inside the black Escalade truck, "Yo Kuddie! How ima' hold this til tomorrow? I got shit to do." After the truck began to take off down the road he cursed under his breath and then shrugged. A couple of others stood by watching the interaction, majority of them worked for Kuddie so they didn't dare to offer input. "That nigga got the worst attitude! Walking away from some money is wild. I'm out this bitch. Cousin or not, he better watch that shit too forreal," After placing the duffel bag in, he closed the trunk and proceeded to get inside the car. Before the door could fully close it was pulled. "Chewy you better back yo big ass up!"

"Mesh, he said hold it. I ain't got time to fuck around with Kuddie."

"I heard that butterball, he can come get his shit on my side of town tomorrow." Mesh grew up with Kuddie, they were damn near brothers in his eyes. Kuddie was always the hot head out of the group, was the first to laugh but could easily turn into the coldest thing walking. It was all tolerable until Kuddie grew up and that hot head turned into mentally unstable.

"Nah, he wants you to stand here. Hold it."