𝟐𝟕

NEHEMIAH KENSINGTON

"Neem I also need my space. We have been around each other all weekend" Maya stated on the phone.

Ever since they've been back on good terms, he's just been wanting to be around her. When he was home by himself yeah he was making money and doing what he had to do, but all he thought about was seeing Maya again. But she was the opposite, apparently she wasn't that way.

"I know but I'm just trying to stop by later"

He didn't want to just come over though, today he wanted to tell her about the surprise he'd planned for her birthday. He wanted it to be a more last-minute surprise but upon thought, he knew she'd probably make other plans before then.

"You can stop by later but we don't have to be together all day every day."

"Yeah I know" He replied sitting back down on his couch, knowing he wished they could.

"If you want to come back over now you can it's just I'm gonna be studying and doing what I gotta do"

"No it's okay, I'll just come by later" She stopped doing what she was doing and looked dead at him in the camera.

"What you looking at me like that for?" He asked

"You clingy as fuck, you know that right? I'm noticing that about you" Neem shrugged playing with one of his dreads, he didn't care.

"If that's what you want to call it"

"No that's what you are. You're clingy, but it's okay I just be needing my space sometimes, you know?" 

"Yeah yeah I get it" She smiled at him and set the phone back down. 

"I'll call you later though, I need to shower and get ready."

"Do what you gotta do" 

𝐌𝐀𝐘𝐀 𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐑𝐄

"Deijah I already paid your hotel, you don't need to be calling me every minute"

Maya gave Deijah that money for her hotel yesterday. She paid the whole month off so she'd leave her alone, but she's been calling asking for more money since then.

Maya didn't give in though, it was just getting annoying.

"I gave you three bands yesterday, you're not getting nothing else out of me I swear to God Deijah"

"Yeah, and that's for the hotel. How imma eat?" 

"Are you not looking for a job? You stay bugging me but what about them job employers"

"Maya it's not that easy. Not all of us have rich parents and sugar daddies. Shits not easy" 

The minute Deijah said that Maya's heart dropped. Deijah's been saying low shit lately but this was the lowest in her opinion. 

"Okay see that's what you're not gonna do. You and me both know since I was sixteen they haven't helped me with shit. Everything I've got myself" 

"Yeah, but that nigga do though. Lately, you haven't been lifting a finger while I'm over here going through shit. I appreciate you've already helped me with the hotel but it's hard right now and I know you got it- " Maya almost laughed. 

"And 'that nigga' also knows if he left me today I got money to pay all my bills, take care of me, and 2 kids. That's what's wrong with you bitches, you think everything's supposed to be handed to you and it's not. No ones gonna take care of you especially if you don't at least try to get it for yourself "

"I gave you 3,000 dollars Deijah. More than enough for the hotel. I can't believe you would stoop this low and throw shit like that in my face, don't ask me for shit else cause you're blocked" 

Maya hung up in disbelief. She always helped her out and this is what she gets for it. She knew Deijah wouldn't do the same but she helped anyway because she knew she didn't have it like her. 

But when she threw her parents back in her face as if they got her to where she is now, that actually got to her.

___

"I thought you didn't want me over right now," Neem said, sitting on Maya's couch. She invited him over after her little argument with Deijah.

He came in with a white gift bag and balloons in his hand. 

"What you bought me now?" Maya smiled sitting down next to him, totally distracted from Deijah after seeing he came bearing gifts.

"I don't know open it. But what you doing for your birthday?" 

"I still don't know yet, might just go out to eat. It's okay though it's not like I'm feining to do anything big anyway" 

"You wanna go to the Maldives?" He caught her off guard causing her to stop digging in the bag. 

"What? Are you for real?"

"Well, I already set up everything so we kind of have to go" Maya couldn't stop smiling over at him. 

"All you gotta do is shop and get ready, I'll take care of everything else. If there's anything specific you wanna do out there let me know" 

She wasn't used to doing big things on her birthday, so this was a big deal to her especially since she wouldn't have to pay for anything.

"When are we leaving?"

"The day before your birthday, it's January 28th right?" She grinned at him again and kissed him on the cheek.

"You treat me so good. I'm starting to like it"

 It wasn't the fact he was doing all this, it was the way he was showing her to learn her worth that she was blinded to this whole time. It just took her a while to see it.

"Good, I was getting tired of the complaining and shit" He grabbed her hand interlocking their fingers, kissing the back of her hand.

"Open the bag though, I got you something nice" 

Maya playfully rolled her eyes and took the gift paper out of the bag. A black Chanel box at the bottom of it.

"Another damn Chanel? How many do I need, I got about 3 already"

"Yeah, but that one's not out yet until spring. I was in there shopping for you and they offered it to me" 

Maya stared at it for a second and tried her best to un-box it nicely. The bag was mainly white and multicolored, definitely a spring bag. 

It was beautiful just like all the other ones he's bought her. He was starting to figure out the things she liked.

"Thank you, it's pretty" He stopped and didn't say anything for a few seconds just looking at her.

"Before I got here you said you were upset, what happened?"

Oh yeah, I forgot.

"It was just Deijah again, I don't really feel like talking about it though. I'm in a better mood now"

"Are you sure?" She shrugged, not feeling like bothering him with Deijahs stupidity again.

"Yeah, I just need to leave her alone I learned"

Maya could tell he had more questions but didn't want to pursue the conversation. She was over her and wanted it to stay that way. 

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐔𝐄𝐃...