Scene 5

We pan into Laney rushing up a spiral staircase, clearly trying to get away from something, or perhaps, someone. She reaches the front entrance of Ravenclaw tower where the door knocker throws a riddle at her.

Ravenclaw Door Knocker: What has words but can’t speak?

Laney thinks for a moment, then answers.

Laney: A book!

Ravenclaw Door Knocker: Correct.

The door then swings open, and allows Laney inside. She quickly rushes up another spiral staircase and makes her way to her dorm room. Inside the room sits everyone’s things, with most going untouched, including her own.

Laney makes her way to her bed. At the end of it sets her trunk and her messenger bag. On her bed sits her suitcase. She quickly pops open her case and begins pulling out her clothes and setting them neatly on her bed. She then is seen pulling stationary out of her messenger bag and setting it on a nearby desk. She is then seen hanging her robes up in her wardrobe. Her area of the room is done now. Everything is in its place.

She kicks off her shoes, hangs up the robes she was originally wearing, and grabs a book that sits on her desk. She sits comfortably on her bed and reads.

Outside, four girls are making their way to the room. They enter, laughing. They all then sit on their respective beds and begin chatting. Laney didn’t dare peer up from her book in fear the girls would catch her snooping, but she listened instead.

Girl 1: Five cats! Now that’s a bit ridiculous if you’d ask me.

Girl 2: Yeah, plus, everyone knows that you’re only allowed one pet at Hogwarts! I hope she gets kicked out!

Girl 1: Yeah, me too.

Scarlett: Well, I hope they at least take them away from her! That might cause her more pain! Poor girl won’t be able to live without her cats for a whole school year, so sad!

Matilda: Well, did you see that teacher that tripped? Pretty cruel.

Girl 2: More like pretty funny! I heard he sprained his ankle! Such a shame we live in the magical world. His ankle was mended in seconds.

Girl 1: Well where's the fun in that?

Girl 2: Exactly!

Laney then sets down her book and begins to get ready for bed.

Matilda: Oh hey Laney! When did you get here?

Laney: I’ve been here the whole time.

Matilda: Oh. Well, it’s nice to see you again! How was your summer holiday?

The other girls are glaring at Matilda, hinting to her that she shouldn’t be speaking to Laney. Laney picks up on this, and tries to end the conversation.

Laney: Fine thanks.

Matilda gives a friendly smile. She seems to be the only nice one here. She then sees the time.

Matilda: It’s the first night! We should all get ready for bed together. To like, initiate the sisterhood thing!

The other girls roll their eyes, but agree nonetheless. Soon, they’re all ready for bed. Two of them are still up whispering to each other while two of them are asleep. Laney lies on her bed, her eyes open and her thoughts clouded.

The screen goes black.