Scene 39

The day has grown dark. Laney is seen making her way up to McGonagall’s office once more. Addison and Frank follow. She reaches a griffin statue.

Laney: Ginger nut.

Addison: Good luck!

The griffin began to spiral upward, revealing a pair of stairs. Laney hurriedly climbed up them and knocked on the door.

The door swings open, magically. No one seems to be inside. Laney steps inside, peering around.

Laney: Professor?

An odd energy lurks. She notices the imbalance, and takes note of the room around her. Something is different. Instead of the red and orange blazing flames in the fireplace, they’re blue.

Laney stands near the fireplace, observing the flames. They feel cold, unlike any other flame she had encountered before.

McGonagall: Scamander? What are you doing in my office?

Laney: Professor! Nice to see you!

Laney says this startled. McGonagall is standing in the middle of her office. Laney turns to the fireplace again. The flames have now gone back to their rightful color, as does their temperature. Confusion pricks her face.

Laney: I need to tell you something.

McGonagall: Yes?

Laney: I’ve lied, and I’m really, really sorry! I thought it’d make things better, but I couldn’t bear the burden of keeping the truth from you!

She pauses.

Laney: I understand if you wish to suspend me.

McGonagall: Suspend you? Is this over what we conversed earlier?

Laney nods.

McGonagall: Well, I don’t think a suspension would be justiceful. A few months of detention might be the most suitable punishment.

Laney: Really? That’s all?

McGonagall nods.

McGonagall: If you didn’t admit you lied, I’d look into suspension.

Laney is beaming.

Laney: Thank you professor!

She heads to the door, a slight bounce in her step.

McGonagall: I best not see you in here again.

McGonagall is smiling.

Laney: You won’t! Quiet life for me from now on, or at least somewhat.

McGonagall nods. Laney exits the room.

McGonagall: I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone more excited to get a detention in all my years of teaching.