Scene 18

We’re now in Ravenclaw common room. A fire is crackling and students sit around at tables, working on their school work silently. Laney sits on a blue sofa, taking note of the things she’s going to need to get in Hogsmeade for her creatures. Matilda comes over.

Matilda: Hi Laney! What are you working on?

Laney: I’m writing a list of things I need to get for the creatures.

Matilda: That’s nice! Do you think Hagrid would let me help him as well?

Laney: Hagrid?

She has a moment of realization. No one is supposed to know about the creatures she keeps with her in her case, nobody except for Addison, and her brothers, and a few others at least.

Laney: Right! Yes, Hagrid, he’d definitely let you help him if you’d ask!

Matilda: Great! The lesson was really nice today, wouldn’t you think so? I’ve never gotten that close to a dragon before, let alone seen one.

Laney: Oh yeah, it was great! Probably the best lesson yet.

Matilda: Yeah, definitely! I’m really glad I’m taking the class. Scarlett didn’t want me to, but it’s my future, not hers.

Laney: You’re interested in Magizoology?

Matilda: It’s striked my interest, but I’m not quite sure I’ll go in it. Just an idea for what the future holds, you know? What about you, what do you plan to do?

Laney: I’d like to go into Magizoology. Not necessarily because almost all of my family has, but just because it seems interesting. I’m sure if I was born into a different family, my passion would be the same.

Matilda: It’s definitely an interesting career choice, that's for sure.

Laney: Definitely. If I could I’d talk about it all day, but last time I did that the person I was talking to ran away. Then again, I was rambling to a random muggle I met on the streets.

Matilda: Probably not the best approach.

Laney: Definitely not. But, I do have people that’ll listen! I have long, deep chats about it with my parents and my Great Grandfather. It’s great.

Matilda: That’s good! And hey, if you ever want to talk about magical creatures, I’ll totally listen. I could probably learn a thing or two from you.

Laney smiles.

Laney: Yeah, definitely! We should do that sometime!

Matilda smiles.

Matilda: Well, I’ll leave you to your list! See you later Laney!

Matilda gets up and walks off, Laney waves her a goodbye.