Scene 24

We’re now in the Ravenclaw common room. Laney is sat in front of the fire with a damp rag, pressing it on the latches of her case. The case is frozen shut.

The ice crystals that once coated her eyelashes have now melted, and her face isn’t as pink now.

Matilda approaches Laney and takes a seat next to her.

Matilda: Hi Laney! Where have you been, I haven’t seen you all day.

Laney: Outside. One of Hagrid’s creatures got loose.

Matilda: Blimey, how long were you out there for?

Laney: A few hours.

Matilda: Only a few?

Laney: Alright, maybe more than a few.

Matilda: Well, did you ever find your Niffler?

Laney is about to answer, but she pauses.

Laney: I’m sorry?

Matilda: Your Niffler, did you ever find it?

Laney: How did you know that’s what was lost?

Matilda’s expression is frantic.

Laney sets down her rag and case and gets up. She makes her way to her dormitory, with Matilda trying to stop her.

Matilda: Wait, Laney! Please, I didn’t mean to steal it! I’m sorry, honestly!

Laney ignores her and opens the door to her room. Inside, Scarlett and the two girls are observing a fluffy, orange furred creature that sits on a bed.

Laney: There he is! Why do you guys have him?

Girl 1: We found him outside. Is he yours?

Laney: Of course not, he’s Hagrid’s, I’ve been looking for him for hours!

She’s partially lying.

Scarlett: Of course that fool would let one of his creatures loose! People have been going on for years about how much of an incompetent professor he is, and I’m starting to think they’re right.

Laney: Don’t speak ill on him!

Scarlett: You know it's true though! I’m surprised he hasn’t lost his head yet!

Laney: It’s not true! Matilda, you think he’s a good teacher, right?

Matilda stays silent, looking down at her feet. She wants to say something, but something is stopping her.

Scarlett: See, nobody agrees with you. You’re alone.

Laney stands there. She seems to remember a part of her past. It half-obviously upsets her.

Laney: Give me the Niffler.

Girl 2: And if we don’t?

Laney: I’ll inform Professor Flitwick.

Girl 1: Like he’d do anything!

Girl 2 whispers to Scarlett.

Girl 2: Don’t let her have the Niffler.

Scarlett: Wasn’t planning to genius.

Laney reaches for the Niffler, but Scarlett pulls it away.

Scarlett: I think I’ll take it to Hagrid. I mean, it is his, right? In fact, I think we’ll go on down to him now.

The girls exit the room, leaving Laney.