8 : I Break

"And in the end it's you against you."
➹♡➷➹♡➷➹♡➷
Lizzie

"What's going on with you? You're acting weird" Gracie asks me as we walk side by side towards campus.

"Nothing" I lie, it's not like I could just say oh well remember how your boyfriend got his ass handed by Pembroke college well I basically had lunch with the captain.

"Hm" she hums, I love Gracie, she is my best friend and I trust her with my life but when a topic involves her boyfriend I have no doubt she would tell him.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, hey I am an advocate for healthy relationships but I would rather not have Logan tell Archie or any of his teammates, I cannot lose my friends.

And I am probably overthinking the whole thing, probably making a bigger deal of something so simple, something that happened a month ago.

A MONTH AGO!!

That's how deep I am making it, thankfully I have avoided every possible way of seeing Luke Beckett again.

"You haven't been listening to anything I have been saying have you." Gracie says shoving me slightly causing me to turn my attention back to my best friend.

"Hm, I have!" I defend,
"Tell me more about...Ah gosh look at that it's Logan!" I say enthusiastically as I spot her boyfriend walking towards us.

Gracie narrows her eyes at me but her expression grows soft when Logan approaches us and slings his arm over her shoulder while peppering kisses on her face.

I do a good job of fake gagging as I watch the happy couple ignoring the weird feeling that stirs in my stomach. Sure I don't think I will date in college but that doesn't mean that a girl can't dream.

"Hey Liz" Logan finally greets me as I wave at some girls walking past.

"You coming to the Halloween party?" Logan says in a wannabe spooky tone, I slap his hands away when he tries to spook me causing Gracie to giggle, Logan smiles down at her with a look of contentment all over his face. Stupid love.

"The one off campus?" I ask, every year for Halloween there are usually multiple parties and the biggest ones are the ones where the jocks turn up, So this year that is at a house off campus since the hockey guys aren't hosting.

"I'll think about it" I say knowing Gracie won't take no for an answer, my phone buzzes in my bag and I seize the moment to make an escape from Logan and Gracie.

I call out my goodbyes to them before answering the call.

"Hey mum" I casually answer while walking towards the building where my class is.

"Honey-" she sniffles into the phone and my body tenses, my mum has only cried in front of me a handful of times.

"What's going on mum?" I ask panicked,

"Everything is fine, I j-just wanted to let you know that um" she stutters,

"Your father fell when I was out picking up Benny from kindergarten-" I take a sharp breath in "he had to go to the hospital. I didn't want it to be a surprise to you when you came back but everything is fine now." Her words are meant to soothe me but they don't. They don't soothe the urge I have to break down.