Ch. 4 Athos

I watched as Helio fell asleep. He looked so peaceful. So handsome.

I ached for his touch, pined for his embrace, yearned for his eyes to lock with mine. Oh, those elegant gold eyes. I relive the moments when he would look into my eyes just before I-

No. I can't think of those desires now.

I pull out my pipe, out of habit, trying to neglect those sentiments.

So I stand, closing my eyes, and begin reciting Macbeth to him in soft tones, almost like I'm assuring him and comforting him.

Thunder rolled outside, rain dribbled down the ivy crawling around the side of the house.

Does he still remember me? Remember us?

...

Helio

There was a shattering of glass and a cry. I cuffed my sleeves and readied myself. Strolling out my room, I went to the head of the stairs. My heart was pounding but I could dim figures moving about at the base of the stairs.

"'Lord, what fools these mortals be!'" I cried, drawing attention. A wind swept through the hall and all the lanterns were lit. I hid my surprise, fear showing all too well on the three intruders.

"It's...It's a ghost!"

I grinned, running a hand through my hair. My mind was ablaze with so many different memories and ideas, mixing and merging, the truth becoming clearer.

"'A man can but die once.'" A harsh wind blew, scattering weapons. "May I ask, gentlemen, why have you graced me with your presence uninvited." An idea formed, although, I suppose if he was here, he wouldn't have minded.

"No, no, no please don't hurt us, please-!" they howled.

I raised an eyebrow. So they think I'm a ghost.

"Who are you?"

I felt the full force of the presence from before...my eyes flicked over the entire room, before noticing a slight shadow hidden in a door frame down below.

"I am Lord Athos Grey." I say the first name that comes to mind, though I do not know where it comes from.

One of the men drew back, fear in his eyes.

"But you're dead!"

My heart stopped. My mouth tightened. But I forced a laugh.

"So what if I am? I'm right here." So he is real? Who is this 'Athos Grey'? I decided to play along, yet I don't know why I was being so bold in myself. These people were intruders, after all.

The men stuck their heads together and conversed for a split second then returned to an offensive stance.

"Back away, ghost, we know you can't hurt us." he didn't seem so confident in himself.

"'The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief.'" It was that mysterious voice again, only, it wasn't in my head. For the intruders seemed to be shaking. I smiled.

"I-I-"

One of them scoffed in disbelief, so I came down a few steps. Light bounced off my glasses, hiding my fearful gaze. With every step that drew me closer to the three intruders, each of the intruders grew more wary. I grinned, knowing I was going to win this.

Abruptly, one of the men leapt forward, trying to attack me. But he was stopped by some strange force. He choked on seemingly nothing, and started to shake. He dropped his weapon, unable to hold it, then put his hands to his neck.