Ch. 15 Helio

Every vacation, Athos would invite me and my Mama over to his home. We would have so much fun and it was truly my home, in a sense. A year into our relationship and trips to Athos' place, my Mama put two and two together and found out the truth. She was so happy that I had finally found someone and kept teasing me.

We spent a glorious year together, and then I was old enough to join the war. They needed more men and I was blinded with the childish wish of wanting to join. I tried to hide it, knowing my Mama wouldn't like it. She wanted me to stay by her side forever. So I kept quiet.

We went out on a walk one morning, into the bustling market. Mama wanted some herbs, so we wandered around, searching. We found a stall manned by a very interesting man. His hair stuck out in every direction and his eyes were wild. He introduced himself as Dean Mickail, a witch with an impressive talent for trouble. He fell in love with Mama the minute he set eyes on her. I never knew if Mama liked him.

I spent my summers when Athos was busy or when we went into town with Dean. He was like a father to me, giving me advice and treating me like his son. One day, when I got home, I told Athos I was going to enlist. He...was quiet. I could see the tears swirling in his eyes and I pulled him into a tight hug, tears forming in my eyes.It was going to be okay. Everything would be okay.

Athos helped me break the news to my Mama, who cried. We all cried that night.

Later that night, Athos and I were laying in bed, the sheets tangled around us, just holding each other tightly, trying to take in all the other person had to offer. He was my other half. When the sun rose, I reluctantly got out of bed and said my farewells, going off to the army. And I never came back.