Ch. 29 Athos

My dearest Helio, in these few days before our marriage, I long for you more than ever. Though we are apart for just a while, my thoughts have been purged with your image, my dreams have been flushed clean with your voice. All I remember is your touch. Every waking moment is full of memories of you. I can hardly wait for the ceremony. I write these to waste my time, hoping that it will only come quicker. I read "Hamlet", and did not continue reading "Twelfth Night" without you. I do want to finish it with you. I want to finish quite a lot of things with you. I want to finish my life with you. Often, I think about death. It no longer scares me anymore. What scares me is the indefinite but forthcoming time of your death. I used to have the wish that I would die before you so that I wouldn't have to live without you. Now I see that it is a selfish wish. And I now have the wish that I can be by your side on your deathbed and I may help you cross over into death. It's not all that easy, believe me. I am sorry for being so morbid to bring up this topic of death. But after all, it is something that I have already experienced and is something that both of us will experience in the future. That is one thing that I am sure of. I am also sure of the fact that it is fate that we are meant to be together. I think that if we were not meant to be, then I would have become worm food. The only reason I would have stayed on Earth is for you. My purpose is for you. That is why I'm alive. For you. Alright. I'll stop with all these lovey-dovey things. My point is that all I know is that I live for you. And always will. Even after death. I love you, my sweet.

All my love, Athos.

•••

Athos

As I held out my hands, the first thing I felt was his fingers on mine. My breath halted and I choked up. I think that my hands were shaky, because he then gripped them.

"Athos, love. You can open your eyes now."

I squinted, and opened my eyes.

Helio's golden eyes glowed with anticipation behind his polished spectacles, his curly hair was riddled with daisies from the meadow. He was wearing a new suit, its cream colour was delicately embroidered around the collar and cuffs.

We were both hidden under an arch of dove orchids at the edge of a field, birch trees whispering in the wind.

"Welcome," said Dean, who was standing near us. "I know you both wanted something... a bit more than a traditional wedding, so we planned something out for you, with the help of you both and-"

"Just get on with it!" interrupted Emilia. Helio and I grinned at each other.

"Alright, alright. We are gathered here today, in the presence of each other with Emilia as our witness. Together we join Helio and Athos together, and they will become of the same spirit. First, we have the cutting of hair."

•••

Helio

Dean placed a bowl of fire in between Athos and I. He handed a small pair of shears to Athos, who cupped my head gently in his hands and snipped some of the hair at the back of my head. Handing me the shears, he held my hair as I clipped some of his hair. Dean held a paper that we both read:

"We take this hair,"

"A symbol that we have the ability to partake of the other's goodness,"

"And we place it in the fire,"

"A symbol of ever-burning love,"

We dropped the hair into the flaming bowl and watched it shrivel into sparks.

I stared at him and the long-lost look in his eyes while he looked at the fire.

"Athos," I muttered. He glanced up at me, wist in his eyes, mouth parted. Oh, how I longed for his mouth. But I had to be patient, one of my very poorly-built skills. I had to wait until the end of the ceremony. I tried to pay attention during the ceremony, but between Dean's soothing voice and Athos' warm gaze, I could barely take my eyes off him. There was nothing more that I wanted than him. But I had to wait. I had to be patient.

"... and now the time for the vows." Dean interrupted my fantastical thoughts. "Helio, please recite your vows."

I inhaled, turned, and took Athos' hands. The breeze fluttered through our hair, and all I could focus on was his beautiful face.

To be continued. 

Thank you for reading it to this far. It's currently on hold due to the co-author and I no longer working together.