Ch. 20 Helio

"Athos-"

He laughed, clearly enjoying himself. I was totally soaked, water dripping in front of my face. I exhaled, and a spray of water preceded me. I stumbled forward, my now straight hair flopping on my eyes. I rushed at Athos and tackled him to the ground.

"I'm all wet now!" he complained as I sat up.

"You didn't mind this morning," I tilted my head. He grinned.

"You little-." Thunder rumbled above us.

"Boys! Get the laundry done! Stop messing around out there!" Mama yelled. I sighed and stood up, taking the wet towel with me. I put all the washed laundry in a basket and set it on my hip. Athos dusted himself off and followed me inside. Mama told us to hang it above the back foyer, so I took the basket to the back of the house.

"How are you feeling right now?" Athos asked as we tied a rope to either side of the hall, above the cement floor.

"I'm great. I'm living my best life. I've got Mama, and Father isn't around to torment me, and I'm in a pretty solid shelter." I grinned, hoping he would notice that I didn't mention him at all.

"Good, good," he said, almost off-handedly. I frowned.

"And you're with me. That's all I need." I smiled at him. He feebly smiled back, but didn't look at me.

"How...are you?" I asked.

"I'm fine. Just... thinking about some things." He nodded like he's reassuring himself.

"Is it anything I need to worry about?" I furrowed my brows. My stomach started to churn.

"No, no. It's just something that I remembered. It's not important. It was a long time ago." He tilted his head and painfully smiled at me.

"That... doesn't seem good." I started to get more and more worried.

"Can we... just get this done?" He shook his head.

"Yeah... yeah." I shake off what just happened and finish tying the rope to the wall. Athos did, too, and brushed his shaky hands off on his pants.

The rope. That's why. He wouldn't look at it.

"Are you remembering the day that you.... Tried to leave... everything?" I treaded lightly, choosing my words carefully.

"Yeah, I am." He sighs. "It's not important though. I'm just remembering it. It's not bad at all. Not yet, at least." He glanced at me, then clapped his hands together. "Well! Time to get these clothes up to dry!" And he continued on with his work, the soaked clothing dripping onto the floor.

We didn't talk about that event for a while.

"Athos, dear. Please come here!" Mother called him. He nodded lightly to me and left. I was left in silence.

"Athos, dear," Mother said to him. "I need you to tell Helio something. I think that it would be best for him to hear it from you."

I tilted my head,listening to their conversation, though I knew that I probably shouldn't.

"What is it?" Athos asked.

"Please, take this lightly. I know that you won't react much, but Helio will, and I just wanted him to hear it from you."

I tightened my grip on the basket and listened closer. What could she be talking about?

"Yes, you already said that. Emelia, what is it?"

"I... I'm pregnant."

Silence.

Just blank silence.