Ch.6 Helio

The damp kitchen greeted me with creaking floors as I dragged my throbbing foot behind me. I think I might have sprained my ankle. I opened the back door, a light mist gracing me with some refreshment. I leaned against the well, staring at the water.

I just need a shower.

So I took off my shirt, the moist air mingling with my dirty skin. I cupped some of the well water into my waiting hands and poured it, rigid, chilly, over me. It was refreshing and almost... pure. It relaxed my tense body. I dunked my head and pulled back, droplets of water spraying all over. I grinned, shaking my head. I set my fists on the side of the well, glancing meaninglessly at my reflection. But something else stared back at me. Something else was beside my own reflection. I twisted, trying to see what was behind me.

Nothing.

I turned back to the water. It was a very handsome man. But no one was behind me. Or so I thought.

"Who are you?" I whispered, thinking I was alone. "You are very handsome," I stood up straight. "And somewhat familiar." I tilted my head, thinking I was hallucinating.

I stared at the reflection as it moved to the other side of the pool.

My eyes travelled up, perceiving the hips, curved waist, clothed chest, sharp collarbone, broad neck, sharp chin, chiselled face, and brown hair of the young man. In front of me. He peered back at me, fully substantial. His dark almond eyes were watery. His scraggly hair floated around his full eyebrows.

My jaw went slack, suddenly remembering that I had just called him handsome.

"I- I... I just... who are you? I know you? Who are you?" I blurted.

"Lord Athos Grey." He says, his voice deep and rumbling.

He seemed more creature than human, more mist than man.

"Athos... your name. I knew..." My voice fades, as reality sets on me. "You're supposed to be dead."

He shrugs. "Only a mild inconvenience." and throws his hand, palm facing down, wrist limp.

"But-but-that can't be...I said your name. How-how did I know your name? I-I... No. What? How are you dead? You look very much alive right now."

Athos grinned. "You're as pale as I am."

I slap my cheeks and force myself to glare into the well. I am very, very pale.

"But you're moving! And speaking!"

He held out one of his hands, which was trembling.

"No. Back away. I'm not touching you, you monster!" He peers up at me with sad, lonely eyes, obviously hurt by my comment.

"Do you not remember?" he asks.

"Remember? I don't remember anything! I can't even remember my own life! I have no idea how I got here! One day, I just... woke up! How would I remember you! I just spent the last two dreadful months of my life drinking and gambling. I'm poor. I just want a place to survive in. I didn't expect it to be haunted!"

The creature lowered his hand, reluctantly. "Ah. You do not... remember. I see. I remember all. My memories are fresh and new and painful. I wish sometimes that I could not remember." He glanced up. "You are lucky to not bear the same pain as I do."

"Because you're dead?"

"Yes, because I am... dead." I scoffed, thinking I was funny. In pain because he's dead...

Oh, what am I doing? I'm hallucinating, aren't I? Or I'm mad.

That's it.

I've gone mad.

"Ok. I have to go. Goodbye...Athos. I'm going to use your house or mansion or whatever this decrepit place is, so I can have a place to sleep for the night. But I'm leaving in the morning." And I stormed off.

"Helio!" I stopped, but did not turn. "Helio, amica mea [my love]..."

"How...how do you know my name?" I did not recognize the language he was speaking.

"Helio, I know you."

"No, that can't be- I'm leaving! This is bloody creepy." I ran off into the house. The back door slammed open as I burst into the kitchen.