Ch.17 Athos

I felt Helio stiffen in my arms and saw his jaw clench, but only a second later he slumped further into my embrace. His eyes were hidden in the darkness, but I knew the extent of the pain that lied deep within. There was a slight hitch in his breathing.

"Well-" His voice cracked and he cleared his throat. "That is...interesting. I thought he had left." His words were carefully chosen. Dean's gaze kept flickering the room, not settling on one thing for more than a second. A telltale sign revealing his nervousness. I ran my tongue over my teeth.

"What if I go up there and make him leave?"

Dean's gaze finally rested on me. I could almost see the gears in his head moving, shifting every which way.

"That could work."

I looked down at Helio, who shifted his head. His eyes were shining, with what, I was not sure.

"I suppose that could...be careful, love. He's unpredictable."

I pressed a quick kiss to his lips and gently pushed him aside. I stood and made my way through the dark hall. Going up the stairs felt like the world was going to turn upside down. I had only just become myself again, only just felt Helio's touch, his love once again. I had faced death and came out victorious. "Lord, what fools these mortals be."

Lord Neptune was standing in the library, staring at a portrait of Lady Emelia, Helio's mother.

"Beautiful, is she not?"

Lord Neptune started, turning and looking at me. He looked the same as he had always had, unforgiving and brutal. Only he had aged, his brown hair fading into grey. He looked so monochrome. So outdated.

"Athos. They told me you were dead."

I ran a hand through my tangled locks, crossing the room to down Helio's glass of water from earlier.

"Indeed. Why are you here, Neptune? You made it clear you were never returning."

Neptune scoffed, his gaze returning to the portrait.

"I never understood why Emelia kept coming here. I suppose she thought she could let that useless son of mine have a life he could enjoy. God knows he should have just died."

Anger was making my tightly wound ball of nerves loosen and untangle. How dare this bloke insult the man I love! I opened my mouth to speak, only to have the words stolen from me.

"How nice of you to say that, Father."

Neptune and I both turned to see a pale Helio in the doorway, leaning on Dean for support. Neptune paled, then reddened, then paled again.

"Helio."

Dean helped Helio further into the room and I hurried over to help them. I helped Helio sit into Emelia's old chair. Helio cleared his throat and threw me a smile.

"It is quite nice of you to stop by after all these years. Do you know what people say? They say you killed her."

Neptune swallowed, looking at Helio like he was actually his son.

"I...Come home with me, my son. Come home."

Shooting a glance at Helio, I saw his face was downcast, as if he was actually considering it. When he raised his head, I realised just how wrong I was. I nearly took a step back from seeing that unbridled rage in his eyes, that snarl on his lips.

"Now you start treating me like your son? It takes you six years to see me? Like bloody hell I will, you bastard!"

I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from smirking. That anger...I had only seen it once before. Neptune was making an effort to keep his face schooled.