New Future Vs Reality

Hospital
Mikasa's POV
Squeezing Erens hand, I see a reflection of a barrel. cornered enough not to be noticeable, in  the window next to him.

For a moment the world slowed. Taking Eren's hand I pull him back to the building, placing Clara in his open arm. Instinctively he catches her, as I dodge the shot using my body. The first shot hits my lung, taking out my airway.

I gasp for air, dropping to my knees as the second shot hits my throat on the way down. Before another shot could be made a soldier tackles to perpetrator.

"Mikasa" Armin shouts worried, while the crowd cowers down, not knowing if it's safe to run. Eldian soldiers surround the stairs protecting us, or at least their commander.

"M..." Eren manages to gasp out. I look over to him hunched over the children.

Most shots Ive taken to the body were never vital and felt like a flick. For some reason this person knew exactly where to hit to cripple my body.

Armin grabs my wounds hiding the smoke from forming in front of the crowd. Pulling me into the hospital, the Doctor helps Eren behind me.

I lye on the first bed I find behind curtains, as eren sits in front of me holding my hand. He holds my gaze with every curdled breath we take until we could breathe again.

I roll on my back looking at the ceiling, letting out a sigh "That one hurt.."

"No kidding" he groans

Armin walks in with the Twins, after hearing our voices. The twins jump into my arms letting out their cries "its ok, mommy is not going anywhere.." I reassure

"Sorry to bother you but it looks like the person that shot you, took a cyanide pill." Armin announces

I clench my jaw in anger, trying to hold my temper with the kids in my arms "Was he a Red?"

"Unfortunately, he was a marleyan"

"I guess they didnt heed my words." I almost growl

Eren gives me a raised brow, but turns to armin "Is that crowd still out there?"

"No, it's cleared to leave but I have soldiers on standby for all of us to head back when Annie is ready."

Eren nods understanding, while Armin makes his way back to his wife.

With the strength of me and Eren, we dont need them. However, with the twins ill take every precaution offered.

Underground Home
For the next three day our building was on constant supervision. Armin and Jean each took charge of a tunnel to prepare for the doors to open for tomorrow. Along with the numerous supporters of Eren's, motivated by the speech on the stairs.

As for the ones trying to kill him, we hear some of them being shot outside from time to time. So far none have attempted to enter. Even if they did, they would never walk out.

"Mikasa wake up, Levi is asking for you at the door." Eren groans, lying back in bed. Without a word I get up, making my way to the door in a daze.

"It's early..." I say, cutting to the point

He huffs "I need you to take my cooking duty. Armin gave Connie access to see Sana, and he wants me with him."

I sigh, rubbing my eyes awake "Sure, just watch your back out there."

"Its no worse than the original underground." He shrugs, with a blank stare "but I need you to...."

I cut him off "Ill protect the kids Levi, you don't have to ask.."He hums as a 'thank you' turning to walk away.