Chapter 44: The Asylum

"After that I went to my Grandpa... While going there, I was crossing a road... mindlessly... and when I looked to my side a bus was coming towards me... But... I- I just stood there, in the middle of the road... I realised that I wouldn't have cared a bit even if that bus ran me over..." A tear rolls down Taehyung's cheek.

"Luckily a lady saved me and I thought that what I did was right... That leaving Jeongguk was right... Because what would have he done living with a lifeless person like me who didn't even have any emotions left... He deserved b-better... S-Someone who would fill his life with happiness not with... depression..." Taehyung looks at Jeongguk and cries, who had tears streaming down his face non-stop.

"When I shared everything with my Grandpa... He appointed a therapist for me but it was of no use... I had already made three s-suicide attempts that they had to admit me into a mental asylum for around two years..."

TWO YEARS BACK, CANADA:

Taehyung wakes up in a room covered with white walls. It was a small room with just a bed in it, on which Taehyung was currently sitting... Like a scared cat, he looks around the room and steps down from his bed.

"G-Gukkie?" The first person that came to his mind was his love... He missed him... a lot...

Taehyung was on such a heavy medication that with every step he took, he felt like the ground was swallowing him down. He felt dizzy. But he still walks to the door and knocks it.

"Is anyone there? Please let me out... I want to meet my Gukkie... Please..." He clearly was not in his senses. All he wanted was to go back in his Jeongguk's arms. He keeps knocking and knocking with his weak wrists on the door and did not give up until he fainted there.

The door opens and two nurses come and put him to his bed again... This was like an everyday routine, from the last one month he was here... Every time Taehyung was given any medication, after half an hour he woke up and knocked the door calling out for Jeongguk's name and then he fainted.

Sometimes the situation even got out of control when he became extremely aggressive... and started screaming and throwing things.

The times when he was in his senses, he just stared into space with blank eyes and let the doctors and nurses do whatever they wanted... His condition did not get any better... But instead he felt suffocated living in the asylum... At times, he just screamed, "I want to get out of here!"... To no one but just the white walls...

A YEAR LATER... Taehyung's Grandpa made a visit... He frequently visited him. For him, seeing his young and once lively grandson like this was extremely painful... He did not want to leave him like this but the renowned doctors there said that it was necessary for Taehyung to be there, because the latter was not able to control his mind or emotions, anything. And he would do anything to get his old Taehyung back...

"Taehyung-ah look who is here my boy?" He says as he sees the other sitting on one of the benches of the asylum's garden for patients. Taehyung usually went there and just sat on a bench while staring into nothing.

Upon hearing his Grandpa's voice, Taehyung looks up with blank eyes and then down. Mr. Kim sighs and takes a seat beside him.

"Taehyung-ah look at Grandpa..." He says, his voice wavering due to the amount of hurt he felt seeing his Taehyung so lifeless. The other doesn't respond.

Mr. Kim clears his throat and says, "Do you remember I used to tell you stories before you went to sleep when you were a kid?"

Taehyung now looks up. "Yes" He whispers.

"Well I will tell you a story now..." Taehyung tilts his head, as if he was indicating that he was listening.

"Once there was this man... he lost his young son and daughter-in-law in an accident...for him he lost everything that he had in his life and blamed himself for that... Then there was a fight going on between two wolves inside him..."

"Wolves?" Taehyung asks like a small child all over again.

"Yes... one wolf was guilt and sadness, it told that man to leave everything and just sit and grieve... while the other wolf was responsibilities and self-worth, it told him to move on and face the challenges that life posed on him..." He pauses and then continues, "Do you know which wolf won?"

"Which one grandpa?"

"The one which the man fed... Although the first wolf was stronger and more convincing, but the man decided to feed the second one... and it won"

Taehyung nods looking down...

"That man was you... wasn't it?" Taehyung asks in a quiet voice after a while.

"Yes..." His grandpa nods. He puts his hand on Taehyung's head and caresses his hair saying, "Taehyung-ah Life's hardships are inevitable and we'll all be put through the ringer at some point, sometimes even if there's no fault of our own. Now it's upon us how we face them... Don't let these challenges alter your feelings of self-worth. You'll always be enough and only you can make a change for yourself dear."

Taehyung looks up with glossy eyes.

"I- I don't want to live here Grandpa... n-not anymore" He cries silently.

"Do you think it doesn't hurt me seeing you like this? But nothing is in my hand... it's all upon you now Taehyung-ah..." Mr. Kim wipes the falling tears off Taehyung's cheeks with his shaky hands.

"Son... y-you can make the difference for yourself and for the ones who love you... You have to be hopeful and start trying... You have to live Taehyung..." Taehyung hearing this cries harder and hugs his Grandpa.

"I-I want to live G-Grandpa... I want to-" He cries and cries letting every sorrow out of his heart.

"You are not alone son... I am always there for you..." Mr. Kim kisses Taehyung's forehead.

Since that day, Taehyung started trying. It was difficult when at first all he wanted was to sit in self-pity but he remembered only one thing in his mind... You have to live Taehyung...You cannot stay like this forever...

--------------------------------------------------------

I got so emotional writing this part🥺... And now the flashback ends here and only the last chapter is left...

Do comment and vote if you liked the chapter!💜

Thankies!

~Momo💜