Chapter 6

Chapter 5

Draco's POV
Back in Malfoy Manor for a short Christmas break, I tossed and turned in my bed. After a while of futile attempt to nap, I decided to eavesdrop on my parents' conversation. This house echoes, so it is easier to hear one's conversation without being too secretive
.
"Draco's time will come, Cissy," Father stated rather diabolically. "And when it does, the Dark Lord will do the honor for his first task."

My throat suddenly felt dry and I had complicated knots forming in my stomach. The Dark Lord? What does he want and what have I got to do with this task?

What are they keeping from me?

I stomped back to my bedroom, anger building up and curiosity took over. What were my parents hiding? And if I question them, Father would chastise me and mock my impatience. I'm trying to do as they please, and nothing is ever enough.

I tried to divert my thoughts to something pleasant like..the Yule Ball that's happening within a month.
Why in Merlins name would I consider it as a pleasant thought?

And who in Merlins name should I invite?

Everyone, including my parents, pestered me to take Pansy. Makes sense, since she is the only female friend I had and came from a wealthy pure family. I don't dislike pansy, but I don't particularly fancy her either.

I respect her as a friend as opposed to other females in Hogwarts that I openly showed my hatred and disgust.
I know I wouldn't get any girls. I tried to win them by trying to be an Alpha and gloat about my wealth. But no one seemed to care – not the ones from Slytherin at least. They had their eyes on Potter all along.

I knew the implications of my actions that truly repelled Hogwarts society. Draco Malfoy the bully, the villain, the antagonist, the spoiled child. That's all people have ever known me and I'd like to maintain that. My parents never showed me love – so I tried to seek validation from others by being vile. I don't believe there's love. I don't believe I will love someone one day. And obviously no one's gonna love me. So I brushed those thoughts aside and decided that I'm not going to the damn ball unless Father asked me to.

My mind then wandered to this morning. Why was Mudblood and Weaslett staring at me like they've seen a dementor? And the weird Loony too.

My mind hovered around that weird girl a little while. The way she doesn't respond no matter how many snide remarks I've thrown towards her. Granger threw a punch at me once. But Loony? She never uttered a single word or recriminate. That made me more curious.
Wrackspurts. Nargles. All the bloody things that didn't exist. But I'm constantly thinking about it. And her blonde hair that always seems out of place.