3. We Shouldn't Be Worth Points

Kevin decided it was time to explore the world a little bit. He walked toward the ends of the roof when he noticed a flash on another roof, just like that there was another person with him. He looked around for a moment, to see if there was a way to get to the next roof without going all the way down to the road. There were bridges connecting the buildings. Most buildings had at least one bridge connecting it. Some of the bridges were at roof level, other connected one roof to a balcony of the adjacent building. It looked like Kevin would have to climb down into the building to find a balcony to cross a bridge to get to that roof.

That's when he noticed something. The streets weren't empty. The streets seemed relatively normal except not nearly as cramped as a usual city; sidewalks abutted a six lane road, most intersections even having stop lights. There were no cars on the roads at all. Despite being empty of vehicles, the roads weren't empty. Down the long road that Kevin could see, he could see figures shambling. He was hundreds of feet away, and the figures were bathed in the shadows cast by the huge buildings, but his new cultivator eyes could easily see that they were not human.

The "Hello" Kevin had about to call out to the other person on the adjacent roof died on his lips as uncertainty struck him. Instead he waved trying to get the person's attention. Immediately he saw that the person was armed. That inspired him to consider his own inventory.

Kevin had really taken advantage of the Artifacts list. Right now he tapped the ring he had on his middle finger and considered the contents. Inside was a 7.62 caliber LMG, a desert eagle pistol and some other goodies he just couldn't pass up considering he was literally a service member. Besides, there might not be any Gun Mastery in the Shop, but for only a few thousand points, Kevin thought it would be silly not to arm himself with a more familiar weapon.

Finally after a few moments of gestating to get the attention of the person, he caught their attention. The reaction was not what he had expected. Almost as soon as the person turned to Kevin, they lifted their rifle. Kevin, raised both hands to show he wasn't armed before he heard the crack of the gunshot. Kevin jumped as the *wizz* of the bullet flew past his head.

"Holy Shit" Kevin said as he took cover. It was Lucky that bullet hadn't hit him, Kevin pulled a necklace with a Shop- purchased rabbit's foot for 1,600 points out and kissed the foot before shoving it back down. He decided he wasn't interested in that fight. Kevin backed away from the edge of his skyscraper where the wall edge was high enough to totally cut him off from the sightline of the shooter.

He ran towards the left side of the building where a roof level bridge went to the next building over. From where the bridge crossed, Kevin shouldn't be in the sight of the shooter. As he started crossing the bridge he heard another *crack* from the rifle. It struck the framing of the sturdy metal bridge right next to Kevin's head. He ducked and turned to see where the shooter was. They had somehow crossed to a neighboring skyscraper's balcony. How had they managed that? It was at least 30 yards, probably more like 40. He turned and crossed to the opposite side of the bridge as he raced through to the other skyscraper.

As soon as Kevin ducked down out of sightline again, he tapped his spatial ring. He pulled out the LMG, an expensive, futuristic looking Advanced Mask that covered from chin to forehead in a reflective black glass that connected to a ballistics helmet he bought from the Shop. He took his backpack off, which was a dimensional backpack. He took a shield out of it and put the backpack back on before using the straps on the shield to secure it over his back. He probably resembled a turtle a little.

Kevin approached the shed on top of the new skyscraper with weapon up, vest and helmet on. He was reminded of his basic training a little as he cleared the stairs.