19. Aww They Grow Up So Fast

By contrast. Kev the Doppelgãnger took his time getting dressed. There was obviously a sense of urgency, but Kev wasn't going to Katie. Kev was going to his mother - Alicia. She was closer than Katie. He was sad that he wasn't going to see Katie probably any time soon, but he was so so happy he was going to be able to see his mother.

It had eaten at Kevin that he couldn't help both. It infected his thoughts. His mother was capable, especially compared to a young teenager. He wanted her safe too. Kev missed his sister deeply, but he had a job and he was going to do the best job he could. After all, who better to trust your sister with than yourself. If the ability description was any indication, he would get the memories from Kevin when they combined again. That would be nice. Kev smiled at the hopes of a future memory. There was something really freeing about not being responsible for Katie. Sure, there was still a stress there but Kev was Kevin, and Kevin was pretty sure he could do this.

Kev finished getting dressed in an outfit that was literally identical to Kevin's except the hat. He didn't have a bunch of the shit that was really handy to have, but he had a lucky rabbit's foot so that was a plus. He would have to get some points and reacquire some of the artifacts Kevin had. He wouldn't waste too many points on that though, because why would he? Kev did plan on buying the Strength Vambrace eventually though because that really added a lot of effectiveness to the workouts. Kev would also need some of those Cloud Step shoes. Kevin had grown so used to them that Kev wasn't sure he would make a mistake without them. On the other hand, training in ways that Kevin wasn't going to be training in would be a really really REALLY good idea.

Kev the Doppelgãnger in the black hat left the room, throwing the pelte shield on his back. He thought it would be easy to find his mom's bridge and get across, so before he did that he was going to see if he could find another golden morankai and get some purchasing done.

Kev got to the top of the roof of the skyscraper. He could feel Kevin running somewhere south, Alicia their mother was somewhere kind of northeast from Kev. He double checked his location, and started to run. It was a good clip but not the breakneck - I might die if I slow down even a little - sort of run that Kevin was doing. Kev zig zagged his way north east looking for golden morankai. The gear he had was pretty good stuff, forty to sixty thousand point stuff, except the double bit ice axe and the pelte shield which were more like 80,000.

Kev ended up finding two golden morankai, which was kind of quite a lot, but he supposed he had covered an area probably twice the size of his old cluster, so maybe there were just more here. He had killed the morankai guards as well as a few others. He hadn't actually started at No points, instead starting at some of the points that Kevin had originally, not quite half.

So Kev, in just a few hours time, had racked up more than 30,000 points. He thought a bit more about what he should do and decided he was going to hunt a few more morankai. He had a weapon in mind, but it cost almost 90,000 points. He was a little hesitant to try to point farm when his mother was just on the opposite side of a bridge, but at the same time, if he found another core, he wanted to be able to do damage and he wouldn't be able to break that core in this body without a lot of help.

Kev was running around, several hours after Kevin left, mopping up morankai when he felt a spike of danger in his soul. Kevin was hurt - badly - if he didn't miss his guess. He briefly thought about going and helping but reconsidered. Kevin had all the best stuff, he was stronger and faster - Kev could feel himself weakening as Kevin drew farther away. Kevin was hours away. He'd either live, in which case Kev wasn't needed. Or he'd die, in which case Kev would become Kevin, and then an ignorant Kev-in would need to avoid whatever was strong enough out there to kill Kevin.

Kev ran around, finding another golden morankai and taking its guards down too. He kept a metaphorical eye on Kevin. After a while, the danger in Kev's soul lessened and he got the impression that Kevin, though definitely hurt, was fine. Kev looked forward to those memories too.

Kev took two days hunting golden morankai.

Status: Name Kevin Moses (Divine Doppelgãnger)
Points: 93,865
Race: Human doppelgãnger
Soul Quality: ✪
Age: 2 days
Stats: Strength: 135
Endurance: 117
Recovery: 79
Soul: 28

Abilities: 6/0
Soul Tracker
Ki Cultivator Earth Tier (Middle)
Basic Shield Mastery (5/5)
Intermediate Axe Mastery (1/5)
Ceaseless Mind
Conqueror's Spoils (LOCKED)

Kev chuckled at the differences between Kevin's status and his own. He wasn't thrilled that his race was technically different, but he did laugh at his age.

"Aww they grow up so fast." Kev said out loud.

It was the morning, two days after Kevin had separated with Kev. Kev had found the last golden morankai he needed to buy what he wanted. Thinking back he wasn't sure why he hadn't bought this weapon already. It sort of perfectly suited someone with Light Heavy, its extra effect wasn't that exciting but pound for pound it was the heaviest weapon he could afford.

Kev bought a new weapon. Mountain's Bane. It was 89,000 points in the shop.

It was a pickaxe that pretended at being a weapon as best as Kev could tell. Not even that really. It resembled a rock hammer you would see in a Nat Geo documentary, except it was a full 6 feet tall, the hammerhead was the size of a dinner plate and the pickaxe beak side was almost 20 inches long and met at a tight, four sided diamond point.

It was a bit of a risk buying the item as Kevin had never used a pickaxe so Kev didn't know if his Axe Mastery would work on it, but it did say "axe" right in the name so he rolled the metaphorical dice.

The item appeared in Kev's hand. A strong metal pole for the grip, with leather anywhere you might put your hands. A bit of a counter weight at the bottom in the form of a rough pummel that mirrored the shape of the hammer head. Kev experimentally lifted it.
"It must weigh almost 100 lbs by itself." Kev said, giving it a test swing. The extra effect was that it did additional damage to rigid surfaces like armor. Kev didn't really expect to need it, BUT those odd black orbs were definitely rigid surfaces so maybe it would help.

He activated Light Heavy. 1 lb. That's better. Kev activated axe mastery and let intermediate axe energy gather around the point of the beak. He focused, pushing as much into the tightest point possible. He swung with all the strength and speed his slightly diminished body could manage and brought it down on the roof of the skyscraper he had, switching Light Heavy just before impacted.

More than 10,000 lbs came down on a point slightly duller than a sharpened pencil, reinforced with the strongest axe energy Kev could manage. The roof, a very small piece of it, cracked.

Kev smiled and started heading north towards a bridge he had found two days ago.

The trip to the bridge was relatively uneventful. The city was a big place and the morankai didn't always make it to the skyscraper roofs. Kev had to run around a little more without the Cloud Step shoes but had decided that practicing things Kevin wasn't going to do would be more beneficial than doing things the exact way Kevin would do them.

Kev got to the bridge after only a short time and started to cross it. He only had one recovery potion, but there were recovery pills in the shop. They were a little expensive for what they did, in Kevin's opinion which is why he had invented his own recovery potion, which was still expensive but cheaper per dose and more effective.

Kev stood at the precipice just before running off the balcony. He pinged his mother one more time. She was, as best as he could tell, a straight arrows flight, perfectly in line with this bridge. Kev hoped the long ship bridge didn't turn at all out of sight as he took a few steps and started to run.