11. Something Of A Relief

Cameron met Kevin as he walked back into the central skyscraper several hours later. Kevin had killed every morankai he had seen or pinged in any of the towers. He cleared several skyscrapers on his march back to the center of the cluster. He also brought 8 more people with him, individuals he had found hiding away.

"I am so sorry Kevin." Cameron said putting his arm around the younger man's shoulder. "We will find a way to the center cluster, we will find a way."

"Thank you Cameron. Are there any children in this cluster?" Kevin responded.

"Yes," Cameron said. "The youngest is only 12, we are somewhat fortunate that there are none younger than that. I have been putting children with surrogate mothers, a few of the older boys with surrogate fathers."

"That's good. How are they?" Kevin asked.

"About how you'd expect. Shaken up. We did get some information though." Cameron replied.

"Yeah? What sort?" Kevin said.

"Well, first and foremost, we've been here exactly one year right?" Cameron said leadingly. "Well, back home, in the real world, it's only been a month Kevin. One month."

A certain relief passed over Kevin. His family hadn't had to make due without him all this time. A month was still a long time, but not so long. "That's actually something of a relief." Kevin said.

"It is, especially for all the people here with family, but there's more. So much more. The same time we all got pulled in, everyone else on Earth as far as we can tell, every single person they all got a screen. The screen said "The first wave of Chosen have been selected" or some such nonsense. That was us. It took one million of us for the first wave." Cameron said.

"One million? How many came here in total? We found what almost twenty bodies, plus the 74 of us?" Kevin said and Cameron nodded along.

"That is exactly what I was thinking." Cameron said.

"Less than one hundred people, but a million of us snatched up? If people were distributed somewhat equally that means there are thousands, more than ten thousand fucking cities." Kevin said, growing a little hysterical. It was a good thing he had Soul Tracker or he never would have found his family.

"That's what we have guessed ourselves. No telling how big this group is, but based on how many we have found so far, I would say almost a thousand souls brought to our cluster." Cameron said.

"So that means that probably 10 million people were selected this time?" Kevin asked.

"We can't be sure," Cameron said, "But based on how many people showed up in this wave, that's a good guess."

"Well we have a thousand people now, at least the trio can hold that many." Kevin said, referencing the central skyscraper and its neighbors that all shared the same height.

"Yes. We'll be wanting to increase patrols at night, and probably Jarod shouldn't let his necros out tonight until we have a chance to read the people in a little." Cameron said.

"You are good at this Cameron. We are lucky to have you." Kevin said.