4. I Have A Lot To Do

Kevin went inside the lounge off the balcony and started walking around the floor. He was pretty close to the bottom floor and wasn't really interested in going lower but wanted to at least make sure that there weren't any morenkai immediately in his area before he found a room. He crept to the stairway and opened the door. It seemed all the doors opened on well oiled hinges as so far, not a single door had creaked. A fact Kevin was very thankful for.

In all the places Kevin had been so far, the lights had all worked, and most of them were on before he entered the space. So he found it odd then, that halfway down the stairwell, the lights abruptly shut off. "That can't be good." Kevin whispered to himself. "Why are you dumb. Why are you dumb. Why are you dumb." Kevin said to himself as he flicked the night vision on his Advanced Mask, he pulled out a shield and finally, pulled out the 10 lbs maul he bought.

The maul was similar to one you'd find at any hardware store, but at its 4,000 point price tag, Kevin certainly hoped it was worth more than nothing. Light Heavy activated and the heavy weapon suddenly felt light as a putter. Despite the broad head, a maul was still a type of axe by Kevin's reckoning, so he figured his Basic Axe Mastery would work with it just fine. Kevin reassured himself by briefly touching his shield mastery before starting down the steps.

It was quiet. No sounds at all emanate from the dark floors stairs, no sound emanated from the dark floors as Kevin cracked the doors to peek down the halls. The lights were all off, the air conditioning units too far away or off as well. Kevin continued to creep around. He checked two full floors finding nothing at all. On the third floor Kevin opened the door and found a lounge that instead of leading onto a balcony, led to stairs down into a lobby, which in turn led outside.

Standing in this lounge area were three morenkai. One looked almost identical to the one he had killed on the balcony above. One was a bit bulkier in the shoulders with, somehow, even longer arms and fingers tipped with very evident claws. The last was as tall and as gaunt as the normal morenkai Kevin had seen before, only this one shined with an inner golden light. Its head was bulbous and oddly shaped. None of the figures moved at all, one facing the steps to the lobby, the other facing a wall and nothing at all.

Kevin was not sure what he wanted to do or how he wanted to play it, but he did know one thing; he couldn't take three on at once. He hatched a plan. He thought the golden morenkai must be special somehow, maybe it was extra strong, maybe it was special some other way. Maybe it would give him a prize or even let him out of this hellscape. Despite thinking it was a bad idea, Kevin decided he needed to slow down that one the most. He pulled out his 50 lbs kettlebell and attached it to a 30 foot chain he had also purchased from the shop. Then he snuck back into the lounge area.

Kevin crept toward the golden morenkai from the side and behind it. He had taken his shoes off to be more silent on the steps as he moved towards the golden creature. When he was only twenty feet away he flung the heavy chain and kettlebell at the creature intending to weigh the creature down or tangle its long limbs. He then tapped his ring and pulled out his maul and shield. He ran for the normal morenkai swinging his maul at its head as hard as he could.

The maul crashed into the creature and ... bounced off actually far too harmlessly. "Fuck" Kevin swore under his breath, he made things literally lighter with his Light Heavy ability, despite the speed of the attack, he hadn't hit the creature with a 10 lbs maul, but with a light golf club shaped like a maul. A normal person might care, but these creatures were much stronger than a normal person. Fortunately, Kevin's basic axe mastery had coated the weapon in extra cutting force so the creature was still damaged and dazed from the first attack. Kevin tried again, with Light Heavy active he swung his maul with all the might he could manage, just before colliding with the creature he switched the ability, instead of making it as light as a putter, he multiplied its weight as greatly as he could. The maul, moving at speeds a professional baseball player would gawk at, suddenly weighed a LOT more than the 50 lbs kettlebell. It was everything Kevin could do not to lose his grip on the maul before it crashed into the creature.

--- Points Obtained: Points 12 ---

Kevin didn't stop to see what he did to that morenkai as he heard the feet stopping from the other one. He spared a glance at the golden creature, which as luck would have it, had gotten tripped up in the chains. Kevin ran towards the chain which was splayed out only 10 feet from the golden creature. He stepped on it and activated Light Heavy to make the chain heavier and harder to move. He just needed a moment.

The extra bulky morankai charged Kevin, he brought the Light Heavy maul up in an uppercut fashion just as the morankai reached him, it collided between its arms knocking the creature off course but Kevin lost his grip. The creature ran into Kevin, but he was able to glance it off his shield. The golden creature was free and Kevin turned to face it. It turned and started running away. Kevin did the only thing he could think of in that moment. He tapped his ring, pulling out the desert eagle as he brought his hand up to shooting position, and shot the golden creature in the back of the head.

--- Points Obtained: Points 11,134 —

Kevin didn't have time to look at the notification, he had to deal with the bulky morenkai which was getting back to its feet. Kevin turned and fired on the bulky morenkai which took the rounds better than the normal morenkai had, but when a full clip was emptied into it, it staggered it. Kevin realized he was out of time. With the noise from the gunshots, he could hear cries from the street. More were coming. Too many more. Kevin grabbed the chain and kettlebell and did the same trick he had when creating his rope bridge. He threw the kettlebell at the creature, chain included, with all the force he could.

The 50 lbs of kettlebell and the 30 feet of heavy chain crashed into the creature. Kevin didn't wait for even a single second before sprinting for the steps, only stopping to grab his maul. He tapped his ring and put everything away. He made himself as light as was practical and fairly leapt up from one flight to the next. He opened a random door as he heard the bulky creature crash into the stairwell. He sprinted down the hall running for all his new body was worth to the other set of stairs and started climbing them back up to the floor with the balcony and his rope bridge.

As Kevin approached the balcony he could hear the morenkai hot on his heels. He made himself light as he leapt through the air in line with his rope, he felt the air of the claw from the morenkai as its swipe missed him. Kevin flew farther than he would have guessed but not nearly far enough to count himself safe. He caught the rope as he fell past it and used his light weight to pull himself rapidly to the adjacent balcony. He pulled himself up and turned around. The bulky morenkai stood on the opposite side of the gap. There was no bridge for it. It stared at him for a long time. Then, as if relaxing, the morenkais posture changed. It turned away and walked purposeless back into the skyscraper.

Kevin had a lot to think about.  "I have a lot to do." He said.