Chapter 004 (3)

The night was dark, starless and moonless, and bad weather could be foreseen the next day.

Meilin's back pressed against the uneven mountain wall, hoping that the coldness of the rocks could reduce the burning sensation in her body. The arrowhead has been pulled out and rough medicine has been applied. The rough treatment of the wound is throbbing with pain, and the pain in the groggy head is also burning. She knew she had a fever, so she didn't dare to let herself go to sleep, fearing that she would never wake up after falling into a deep sleep, so she grabbed a sharp stone with her hand and pricked herself hard when she was almost unable to stand it any longer to stay awake.

This is a rock cave on a slope. After escaping from Makino Luomei, she held her breath and burrowed into the dense forest and bushes without daring to stop. Just because Makino Luomei let her go, it doesn't mean that her men will let her go. She no longer had the strength to clear away the traces she had left, so she could only try to go to places where bows and arrows and light skills could not be used.

Even so, the blood loss and pain still caused her to lose her usual vigilance, and she missed a step while running and rolled down the slope. Although she fell badly, she still discovered this rocky cave in the middle of the mountain that was obscured by long grass and tree roots. Not to mention that she had no energy left to continue running away. Even if she could escape, she would not be able to escape the pursuit of those soldiers who were skilled in field combat. She took risks and hid herself, waiting for Makino Luomei to withdraw her troops.

Fortunately, no one discovered her until nightfall. Unfortunately, she did not have the power to protect her body, and her resistance was not as good as before. This experience, which was nothing before, actually gave her a fever.

The parched throat, burning breath, and unspeakable pain and exhaustion all over her body were tormenting her and eroding her will.

In a daze, Meilin seemed to see the spring flowers all over the mountains and fields again. The dense rain was intertwined, making the blossoms white and moist, making them extraordinarily beautiful. The fresh air surrounds her with the strong floral fragrance unique to February, making people want to just sleep and never wake up.

The fingers holding the stone moved, and finally lifted up, as if they had exerted all their strength, but in fact they were limply piercing the wound on the thigh. The pain cleared her mind a little, and the heaviness of her body came back again. Something was eager to get rid of this prison-like skin and burst out of her body.

What does your mother look like? She clung to a glimmer of clarity and tried to fight against the desire to give up. Suddenly she thought of this question that she had never allowed herself to think about before, and then she felt that her whole body was suffering from the inside out, and she was eager to know the answer like never before.

Why don’t you want her? Where she comes from, whether she once had a family like others, whether there are brothers and sisters in the family, it doesn’t matter if she doesn’t know. She just wanted to know what her mother looked like. She just want to know this, no more...

No more...

In the darkness, her cleft lips were open, whispering softly, but no sound came out. Maybe even she herself didn't know what she was whispering.

Maybe she won’t survive this time. Just when this idea suddenly came to her mind, which was no longer awake, she suddenly heard a muffled sound, as if something hit the tree trunk, and even the rocks above her head seemed to be shaken. The sense of crisis suddenly woke her up, and she unconsciously stopped breathing heavily.

She tried hard to concentrate and hold her breath, but she didn't hear any more noise for a while. Just when her consciousness was about to drift away again, a sob suddenly pierced the increasingly thick chaos in her mind, shocking her heart.

The incessant sobs made Mei Lin, who was already feeling very uncomfortable, get irritable and didn't want to worry about it, but was afraid of hurting herself. She had no choice but to drag her body, which was reaching its limit, to crawl out, find the black figure on top, grab it and pull it down, regardless of whether it was head or feet.

She was not very strong, but she was so frightened that the man screamed. From his voice, she could tell that he was a young man who was in the process of changing his voice.

"Shut up!" Mei Lin felt a splitting headache. When she drank, she realized that his voice was hoarse, like sand.

The young man was so frightened that he immediately fell silent. He wanted to ask who the other person was, but he couldn't open his mouth or cry. His whole body was shaking uncontrollably.

"If you don't want to die, come with me." Mei Lin tried, but found that she didn't have the strength to drag this young man away, so she could only lower her voice and threaten.

The young man didn't know whether he was scared out of his wits or realized that the other party meant no harm. He followed her obediently and climbed back to the rock cave below. It wasn't until he sat down against the stone wall and heard no other noise for a long time that he realized that the other party was trying to save him. Feeling grateful in his heart, he couldn't help but trembled and asked: "Brother...brother, where...where are you from?" 

He thought that they were all running for their lives, and it was not certain that the two of them knew each other. He was completely unaware that he was treating the other party as a prisoner of war like himself.

Mei Lin didn't answer. It was probably because there was one more person. She felt better. She reached to her waist, touched a few pine cones and threw them to the young man.

The boy was hit several times. Although it was not serious, he immediately shut his mouth, thinking that he had made her angry. After a while, he quietly picked up an object that fell on his body, touched it, and put it to his nose to smell it suspiciously.

"Peel...the pine nuts..." Mei Lin had never seen such a stupid child. She endured it, but finally couldn't hold it back and reminded him with some difficulty.

The young man had been running away for a day without eating anything. He was so hungry that he was dizzy. When he heard that it was food, he didn't care about the scales scratching his hands, so he started to break them open. Then he groped for a pine cone that had fallen on the ground beside him, and dug out every pine nut inside.

"Brother, you eat." Just when Mei Lin was drowsy and about to fall asleep, a hand touched her carefully and asked.

It turned out that the young man had been holding back and not eating until all the food was peeled off and then he handed it to her first.

Mei Lin's eyelids were so heavy that she could hardly hold them up. When she felt the other person's touch, she just groaned and had no strength to respond. The young man waited for a long time, and when he saw that she didn't respond, he took back his hand and began to knead it carefully.

So, in the quiet room, she heard the sound of rattling and rattling. Although it was a little noisy, at least it would not make people get lost in the darkness.

After smashing all the pine nuts in his hand, the young man smashed his mouth with unfinished content, and then listened attentively to the movement around him. Except for the heavy breathing of the person opposite, there was no other sound. His panic-stricken heart finally calmed down, so he shrank down, curled up into a ball, and fell asleep.

She doesn’t know when it started to rain outside, and the autumn rain hit the rough leaves on the branches, making a rustling sound. Probably because the cave opening was low and the space was not big, it was not too cold inside the cave where two people were squeezed. Breathing sounds with different frequencies come and go, as if they finally have dependence. Just when everything was calm, there was a crash, as if something hit the big tree above hard, causing the soil between the rocks to fall from the top of the head.

The two of them, who had not slept deeply, were startled. They opened their eyes at the same time. Even in the dark, they could feel the shock in each other's hearts.

If you think the novel is very exciting, please vote and share it with your friends. Thank you for your support!