The soothing embrace of the mate

Jeongguk found himself kneeling by the side of his mate. His heart pounding with a mixture of relief and uncertainty. His gaze fixated on the figure lying peacefully before him. Taehyung looked so serene in slumber, yet Jeongguk couldn't shake the lingering unease that gripped his heart.

Even though he had snapped out of his trance, the remnants of his rut still pulsed through his veins, a reminder of the primal instincts that had momentarily consumed him. He reached out tentatively, fingers tracing the familiar contours of Taehyung's face, needing the reassurance of touch to confirm that this was indeed real.

The faint rise and fall of Taehyung's chest soothed Jeongguk's racing thoughts, grounding him in the present moment. But the weight of uncertainty still hung heavy in the air, a silent question lingering on his lips—what now? 

Jeongguk's gaze softened as he leaned in closer, his heart skipping a beat at the sight of Taehyung's peaceful countenance. With a tender reverence, Jeongguk lowered himself over Taehyung's chest, his breath hitching as he listened intently for the steady rhythm of his mate's heartbeat.

As his ear pressed against Taehyung's chest, Jeongguk felt a surge of relief flood through him. The reassuring thud of Taehyung's heart echoed in his ears, a comforting melody that silenced the doubts swirling in his mind. It was his mate, his inner wolf affirmed, an instinct resonated deep within his soul.

With trembling hands, Jeongguk traced the outline of Taehyung's fingers, marveling at the delicate symmetry of each digit as if seeing them for the first time. In contrast to his own, which bore the marks of his labor and determination, Taehyung's hands were like porcelain—soft, delicate, untouched by the harshness of the world.

As Jeongguk's fingers intertwined with Taehyung's, a rush of memories flooded his mind. He remembered the time Taehyung had been by his side during his rut, offering comfort and solace when he needed it most.

A swell of gratitude surged within Jeongguk as he reflected on the depth of Taehyung's care and sacrifice. Despite the risks, despite the dangers, Taehyung had never hesitated to stand by him, to ensure his safety and well-being. 

The realization filled Jeongguk's heart with warmth, a profound sense of happiness bubbling up within him like a spring of pure joy.

In the past, Jeongguk had grappled with the fear of rejection, the fear that he would never truly earn the love of his mate. But now, as he sat beside Taehyung, their hands entwined, those fears melted away like snow under the warmth of the sun.

His eyes fill with unsaid emotions as he pulls the alpha carefully to his chest, resting his head softly on his chest and smothering the hairs of his mate. His mate smelled so good, so calming. He felt a satisfaction rush over him having Taehyung in his arms. 

As he held his mate close, a sudden awareness swept over him like a chill wind – they were both soaked through and drenched. Panic prickled at the edges of his mind, his heart racing with worry for his mate's well-being.

With a tightening in his chest, he gently pulled back, concern etched in the furrow of his brow as he scanned their surroundings. 

They were in unfamiliar territory and he had no idea how many alphas would be lurking around. The weight of responsibility settled heavily on his shoulders as he assessed the situation, his mate's vulnerability a sharp reminder of the risks they faced.

With a surge of protective instinct, his senses sharpened, attuned to every rustle in the underbrush, every whisper of the wind. He knew he had to act fast, to ensure their safety in this unfamiliar wilderness.