x ; know-it-all

"These visits to Hogsmeade village are a privilege. Should your behavior reflect poorly on the school in anyway, then that privilege shall not be extended again." Professor McGonagall said to the third years in the courtyard as Filch collected Hogsmeade forms.

I sat on the stairs next to her with my elbows in my lap and my hands holding up my chin. I knew it was pointless to even ask, but Harry is about as stubborn as they get.

"No permission form signed, no visiting the village." She said as Harry ran up to her with both of our forms in his hands. He forced my to give mine to him. "That's the rule, Potter."

"All those with permission, follow me. Those without, stay put." Filch said, looking at Harry, then me.

"But Professor, I thought if you signed it, I could go. We both could." Harry pleaded.

"I can't. Only a parent or a guardian can sign. Since I am neither, it would be inappropriate." McGonagall said as she walked past Harry. I caught his eye and pursed my lips at him. I had told him a thousand times it was useless. "I'm sorry. That's my final word." McGonagall placed her hand on his shoulder, then gave me a soft smile before turning away after Filch.

"Forget about it, guys. See you later." Harry said to Ron and Hermione as they walked off.

"Hey, at least you're not alone." I said, standing up and walking after Harry, who was already heading back into the castle angrily. "Could be worse, right?"

"Could it?" He scoffed.

"If you're going to be a git, I can just go to the library and you can sulk by yourself." I said, crossing my arms at him. He rolled his eyes.

"Fine, I'm sorry." He said, raising his hands in defeat.

"Harry? Jupiter?" A voice asked as we walked down the corridor. Professor Lupin was looking at us from his office. "What're you doing? Where are Ron and Hermione?"

"Hogsmeade." Harry answered casually.

"Ah." He said as he studied us for a moment. "Why don't you come in? I've just taken delivery of a grindylow for our next lesson."

I didn't hesitate to pull Harry inside.

"A what?" Harry asked.

Sitting on Professor Lupin's desk was a large tank of water. A sickly green creature with sharp little horns had its face pressed against the glass, making faces and flexing its long fingers.

"A water demon." I said as I got a little closer to the creature in awe.

"We shouldn't have much difficulty with him, not after the kappas. The trick is to break his grip. You notice the abnormally long fingers? Strong, but brittle." Professor Lupin said as the grindylow bared its green teeth at me then buried itself in a tangle of weeds in the corner of the tank.

"Cup of tea?" Professor Lupin asked as he looked around for a kettle. "I was just thinking of making one."

"Sure." I said, and Harry accepted awkwardly as well. Professor Lupin tapped the kettle with his wand, and a blast of steam issued suddenly from the spout.

"Sit down." He said, taking the lid off a dusty tin. "I've only got teabags, I'm afraid, but I daresay you've had enough of tea leaves, Harry?"

Harry stared at him. "How'd you know about that?"

"Word gets around." He smiled as he passed us both chipped teacups. "You're not worried, are you?"

"No." Harry answered blankly.

"He's lying." I said, taking a sip of the tea.

"Am not."

"Are too."