Chapter 1

This is dedicated to fieryfyrfly for the amazing cover she made!

10 years later

The night was cold and dreary as I sped down the road on my Ducati 910 Monster Bike, called Streak. The icy London air drew into my lungs, chilling me to the core with each breath.

Streak and I moved as one as we roared around each corner, drawing closer and closer to the place I least wanted to be.

Home.

I saw the huge stone walls of the estate, looming in the distance, as I turned down the street. I pulled up to a stop at massive iron gates and leaned over to press the intercom button.

"Identify yourself," said a voice.

"Sephora Baxter," I replied, rolling my eyes. The gates gave a loud beep then swung open.

I started Streak up again and made my way to the garage. As I went, I looked around at the large expanse of land surrounding the driveway. The grounds were pretty big. Way too big for just two people.

I slowly parked Streak before walking to the main house, hoping to delay the inevitable, and rang the bell.

My father's butler Steve opened the door with a smile.

He held out his hand to me as if to help me in and slipped me a small piece of paper. This was a common practice between Steve and me. I quickly put the note in my pocket.

"Good evening, Miss Baxter." 

"Good evening," I replied.

"Your father requested your presence in the great hall."

"Thank you, Steve," I said walking in that direction.

I quickly pulled out the paper Steve handed me.

Have a great birthday, Sephie. Maddy's making your present in the kitchen. Love Steve.

I couldn't help the smile that came on my face. Maddy was Steve's wife and a goddess in the kitchen.

When I got to the hall it was dark. I reached for the light switch, bracing myself for what was going to happen.

"HAPPY EIGHTEENTH BIRTHDAY, SEPHORA!" 

I jumped in shock on cue and pasted on a fake smile. I smiled at the camera crew and ran to my father approved best friend and boyfriend, giving them both hugs and kisses.

Then there was a ringing sound and the crowd parted, revealing my father in a tailor made, black, three piece suit and shiny designer shoes. His short brown hair was slicked back giving him a sophisticated look.

He stood there with his arms stretched out and a wide smile on his face.

I went up to my father and gave him a big hug, jumping up and down squealing. The crowd went crazy at this show of affection while I tried to control my gag reflex.

My father leaned down and kissed my cheek tenderly. He brushed my hair to the side, while keeping his smile, and leaned down to whisper in my ear.

"What the hell do you think you are wearing?" he whispered.

I looked down at my peach peasant blouse paired with my black skinny jeans and knee high leather boots, finished with my mother's gold necklace. I thought I looked pretty hot.

"Clothes?" I replied. My father saw the confusion on my face.

"Sweetie, you look like a tramp. Where is the dress I had tailored for you?"

My father was referring to the puffy, princess-style, emerald dress that he had made for me last week. When I tried it on, the dress weighed a ton and I could barely walk in it. Needless to say, that was vetoed quite quickly by me.

"Oh, that dress," I replied.

"Yes sweetie, that dress," he said sarcastically.

"I didn't like it so I told Maria to get rid of it. It just wasn't my style," I said smiling sweetly for the cameras.

"Honey that dress cost a fortune and was very, very nice, " he said, still keeping up the façade.

"Well, if you liked it so much you could've worn it."

The change in him was instantaneous. His face got a pinched look and his grip on me tightened.

"Now listen here you ungrateful brat-."

He was interrupted by the camera crew coming to film the loving daughter and her doting father. I used the interruption as my chance to escape.

I hastily excused myself and began to make my way out of the room. I was instantly bombarded with congratulations and compliments from different people, most of which I didn't know.

I made my way to the kitchen at the other side of the house. It was referred to as the servants' kitchen and had been my sanctuary for the last few years.

As soon as I stepped into the kitchen I was greeted with warm smiles and hugs. I quickly spotted Steve who swept me up in a bear hug.

When he let me down, I turned to Maddy and gave her a kiss on her wrinkled cheek. She gave me a warm smile and reached under the table.

She got up suddenly and gestured to Jim, the housekeeper. He rushed over to where she was and helped her.

Jim brought out a big, silver box with a gold bow on top of it. Maddy shot me a look full of mischief. Her golden brown eyes lit up, causing my excitement to grow. Steve watched our exchange with a small smile, breaking his usually stoic expression.

"Now, Steve," Maddy began, turning to Steve, "remember when Sephie said that if we got her anything that she would never speak to us again. I think we should just keep this triple chocolate and vanilla sponge bake for another day, don't you think?"

Maddy quickly whipped off the cover revealing a mouthwatering chocolate cake. The cake looked heavenly.

I was standing there, drooling over the sight of the cake, already imagining its glorious taste dancing on my taste buds.

I was quickly broken out of my trance when Jim started to cover the cake. My hand reached over the table and slapped his hand before attempting to drag the surprisingly heavy cake closer to myself.

Everyone burst out laughing at our antics though I couldn't see what was so funny. I looked at Maddy, my eyes begging her for a slice. Her gaze softened at my forlorn expression and she took out a knife, cut a slice out of the cake and placed it on a paper plate.

The cake looked even more delicious with a slice taken out of it. Maddy slid the cake across the table and someone handed me a fork. I might have mumbled a thank you but at that point my eyes were solely on the cake.

I sat down and stared at the cake for no more than a second before diving into it. I relished each bite and the world around me faded into the background. Everything was just coming into focus, when I heard a voice from behind me.

"What the hell are you doing here?"