Chapter 19

After Caleb's statement, everyone started getting ready to leave.

Well, everyone but Des.

"So, that's it. We're all going to head off to Portugal. Just like that," she said incredulously.

Here we go again.

"If you have a better plan Des I am happy to hear it," Caleb responded. He sounded tired as he addressed her.

Des seemed to think for a few moments before giving up with a growl of frustration.

"Look, I'm just saying that we could be heading straight into a trap or something. Doesn't anyone else think it is just a bit too convenient that we get that note just when we need a plan?" Des said looking at each of us.

When she didn't get a response, Des seemed to grow even angrier.

"Am I the only one who still has their common sense?! This is not how we do things. We sit down and make foolproof plans with contingency ones too. We don't just go off chasing leads. We don't even have an address for goodness' sake," she said.

Des turned to Caleb.

"Caleb, this isn't right! We were trained better than this, especially you. Your father would be ashamed to see what you are doing!" Des spat.

Everyone gasped at what Des said.

Caleb froze and slowly turned to face her. His face was hard and emotionless.

"My father died getting us all to safety and he was able to succeed because of that journal. So my father would never be ashamed of what I am doing because I am carrying on his work. So don't ever say those words to me Des. I am tired of your crappy attitude. All you have done since your mother passed away is make people miserable. Nobody is responsible for her death. She died on the job like several other members of CAVES. Des you have been my friend since I was little but friendship can only take you so far. So I am giving you a choice. Continue walking around with this chip on your shoulder and stay here or follow us and SHUT THE HELL UP," Caleb finished, breathing really hard.

Des was stunned silent for a couple of seconds, as were the rest of us, before her eyes narrowed into a fierce glare.

Caleb and Des were at a dead lock for a while until Des broke off the stare.

"So we probably need a safe way to get to Portugal without going to any public places. That means air travel and road are both out for obvious reasons," Des muttered, showing her choice by her words.

We let out a sigh of relief, happy that another possible fight had been avoided.

"I have a close friend who lives about six hours away from here on the border. He has a small yacht and could probably get us to Portugal undetected," Uncle Dan said.

"I guess that's where we are heading. Lead the way, Uncle," Caleb said picking up his pack.

*****

We had been walking for about five hours and had just reached the edge of the forest. In front of us was a beach swarming with people. Before we could take another step, we were stopped by Uncle Dan's voice.

"We have a problem," he said.

"What is it, Uncle?" Caleb asked.

"I wasn't expecting there to be this many people. The last time I came it was practically empty. My friend lives on the other side of the beach," he said nervously.

"When was the last time you came?" Alex asked.

"About ten years ago," Uncle Dan said, rubbing the back of his neck.