Chapter 7

The tiny pelts of hot water fought my anger, soothing me.

Unfortunately, it also brought with it a lot of guilt at what I had done to Des.
The strangest thing was that I wasn't  that angry about the luggage. I was angrier over the disrespect that Des showed me and that's what confused me the most.

I barely knew Des. I shouldn't care about the way she talks to me .

So why do I feel like she still owes me?

I stayed under the shower for a while longer until a knock on the door brought me out of my trance.

I wrapped a fluffy towel around me and opened the door.

On the floor was the pink backpack Des had grabbed earlier. I had forgotten that I'd carried on board with me. I sent up a prayer of thanks and opened the bag.

I checked the front pocket of the bag and let out sigh of relief. My locket was nestled among some clothes and Streak's keys.

That was way too close.

I quickly got dressed and carried my things out of the bathroom.

I closed the door behind me and ran straight into Caleb. I stretched my head backwards to look at him and was surprised to see him smiling brightly. The sight of it was strange on his face but at the same time cute.

I quickly took a step back and went around him,  dumping my things on the bed.

Jaydel and Des came into the room, looking at me like I was a bomb about to exploded. An awkward silence filled the air. Finally I had had enough.

"Des, I'm sorry for getting so angry and  hurting you, it truly wasn't my intention to hurt you. Well,  I did want to hurt you but I don't know why. I know you probably won't believe me but I don't get mad easily. I mean I do get mad, I'm no doormat or anything but I mean, umm, I don't know."

I let my voice go silent and looked down. I was ashamed at my behavior and honestly couldn't explain it.

I jumped when I felt hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Caleb smiling down at me again. This time I couldn't help but smile back at him.

"There's going to be a council meeting after breakfast. After that you'll understand everything that's going on."

"Okay."

I looked at Des and Jaydel who had been silent through the whole exchange. Des shot me a look that promised revenge and stormed out of the room. Jaydel followed her but not before she sent me a small smile.

I sighed to myself and went out of the door with Caleb following close behind me. I assumed Des and Jaydel were going to wherever breakfast was served so I trailed them.

They didn't seem to be in a rush so I took the opportunity to look around.

The hallways was wide with stacked brick walls. As I walked down I could see several tunnels branching off into the different areas of the Headquarters. The place was like a maze and you could easily get lost in it if you didn't know where you were going.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and saw Caleb pointing to a room I had just walked passed.

I had been so lost in my thoughts that I hadn't noticed Jaydel and Des had disappeared. I quickly backtracked and went into the room.

Immediately I entered, I was assaulted with the scent of delicious food and loud noise. The room itself was large and spacious, about the size of a football field, and had several tables scattered around it.