Chapter 15

I finished reading the letter and looked at High Trainer Globe. The panicked look on his face did nothing to calm me down. 

He swallowed so hard that I could see his Adam's apple bobbing. He must have seen the fear in my eyes because he changed his expression. He cleared his throat and began to speak.

"I want you all to remain calm. There is nothing for you to panic about. The HQ is a strong and secure-"

BOOM!

The whole building shook with the sound. We jumped looking at each other.

"Secure and strong, right?" Chris said staring at High Trainer Globe.

High Trainer Globe ran to the door shaking his head. He threw it open and ran down the hall. The rest of us looked at each other briefly and followed him.

We ran down the hallway, dodging panicked recruits and trainers barking orders.

"Where is he going?" Alex shouted.

"In the event of an emergency situation all members of CAVES must go to the cafeteria for further instructions from the council " Caleb shouted back.

We had finally reached the Cafeteria when we heard another explosion.  The room became silent until the tremors had passed. Then the recruits in the room started shouting orders at each other and running around frantically.

High Trainer Globe got a pinched look on his face a grabbed the nearest recruit to him.

"Recruit, tell me what is going on here, " he said. 

The recruit immediately stood at attention.

"Sir, the attack started at eleven hundred hours. The enemy attacked the left entrance using heavy artillery," said the recruit.

"How did they get passed the outer security?" demanded High Trainer Globe.

"We don't know sir. They somehow managed to hide from the detectors."

High Trainer Globe's face became grim.

"Continue, " he said to the recruit.

"They continued to hit the entrance until it broke down. Luckily,  we were able to clear out those quarters and seal the area. It has bought us some time but by our estimates we have about thirty minutes before they break through to the main area."

"Only thirty minutes?" High Trainer Globe said. 

"Yes sir."

"Okay then. Sound the alarm and signal for a real life phase four combat situation," High Trainer Globe commanded.

"Yes sir." the recruit replied, turning to leave.

"Wait recruit. Why is this place not controlled? Where are the councilmen?"

The recruit turned back to High Trainer Globe with a hard expression on his face.

"Sir, it seems that the councilmen left the facility approximately ten minutes before the attack began."

"That can't be right, recruit. The councilmen were not scheduled to make any trips this week, " High Trainer Globe said looking confused.

"Exactly sir," The recruit spat in a very angry tone.

It took High Trainer Globe a few seconds before it dawned on him. His face darkened then suddenly became morose.

"So we have been infiltrated," High Trainer Globe said to himself.

"Yes sir, we have evidence that supports that." The recruit answered thinking High Trainer Globe was talking to him.

"Thank you recruit, you are dismissed."