Chapter 17

That was the final straw. Everything that had happened since the day I got here flew through my mind. All the pain and frustration I had been harbouring filled me up like a dam about to overflow.

Then the dam burst.

"HOW IS IT IN ANY WAY MY FAULT? ARE YOU BLAMING ME FOR BEING BORN? OR IS IT FOR HAVING THIS POWER THAT I NEVER EVEN ASKED FOR? OR MAYBE YOU ARE BLAMING ME FOR HAVING A PSYCHO, HOMICIDAL FATHER? WELL, DES? ANSWER ME! BECAUSE FROM WHERE I STAND, I HAVEN'T DONE A SINGLE THING TO CAUSE ANY OF THIS AND I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE SAYING THAT! IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYONE IS GETTING SOME SORT OF JOY FROM BLAMING ME FOR EVERYTHING. SO I AM BEGGING YOU DES, TELL ME WHAT I HAVE DONE NOW!" I screamed.

Everyone stared at me with the same shocked expression, all except Des whose anger matched mine exactly.

"Well done, princess. That was an amazing monologue. I almost fell for that whole 'poor me' act but unlike everyone I can see straight through all your crap. You are just a spoiled little brat who has been given everything they have ever wanted their whole life. You have never in your life experienced any sort of hardship or pain. You go around doing whatever you like, never once thinking how it might affect everyone else. You just expect everything to work out magically because you said so. Well NEWS FLASH, princess, life doesn't work that way. Just because you want something doesn't mean you get it and I am going to do everything in my power to make sure you don't forget that," Des spat.

I couldn't believe what she was saying. What right did she have to judge my life? She didn't even know me.

"Des, what is it that I did to you that was bad enough for you to hate me this much?" I asked her slowly.

"I hate you, princess," Des said with anger dripping from every word, "because you are the reason everyone I care about is dead! My mother died on a mission to find you. The thing she stole was a damn clue to your location. Now most of the people I grew up with are dead because of a stupid tracker in your bike!" she screamed.

I felt all the blood rush out of my face. I wasn't insecure enough to believe that I was really the reason her mother was dead, though I felt really bad about it. The part that was my fault was the tracker in Streak.

I insisted that Streak had to come with me even though Des told me it was a bad idea. I refused to listen to her and I forced her to do what I said.

Everything she said was right. I am the reason hundreds of people are dead.

I felt so dirty. I needed to get away from everyone, at least for a while.

"I am so, so sorry, " I whispered to Des, tears running down my face.

I turned around and started walking away when I felt someone grab my hand. I looked over my shoulder and saw it was Caleb.

"Sephora, wait. We need to stay together."

I looked in his eyes and saw concern mixed with some indecipherable emotion. I couldn't bear to stay and figure it out.

"Please Caleb, I won't go far. I just need to think for a while. Besides it's already dark and Des and Jaydel can't keep up this pace for much longer. We need to set up camp," I whispered.

"That's fine. Let me just settle the others then I will come with you," Caleb responded.

"No Caleb, I need to be alone," I said, pulling my arm free and walking away.

Once I found a secluded area, I sat down on the nearest available surface.

And I cried.

I spent several hours crying. Once I had done it, I felt so much lighter. I had literally poured out all my emotions and now had that empty, numb feeling.