Chapter 21

Part 2-Portugal (Sephora)

"Are you kidding me, Alex? Would it kill you to pick up after yourself?" Lila screamed, throwing Alex's clothes at him.

Alex dived to catch his clothes, almost falling in the process. He got off the floor and shot Lila a dirty look.

"Maybe I would remember to pick up my clothes if I wasn't tired all the time. Do you know why I'm tired, Lila? I'm tired because I was kept up all night by your stupid snoring," he shouted back.

"Hey! Don't talk to her like that!" Chris said, looking up from his game.

"He has a point though," Des piped up, idly filing her nails in the corner.

Lila whipped around to face her.

"Oh, like you're so innocent, little miss hair-in-the-drain," Lila spat.

"I can clean the hair out of the drain honey, but you will always snore like a dying elephant," Des replied, smiling sweetly.

"That's it!" Lila screamed as she lunged at Des.

Des skillfully rolled away from Lila's reach before turning around and hitting her across her back. Before long, a full-blown catfight was happening. Chris and Alex quickly went to break up the fight.

I looked at the scene before me, completely unaffected by it. A fight like this had been a long time coming. With five teenagers sharing one room, conflict was bound to happen. I was shocked it hadn't happened sooner.

I glanced at Luke, who was firmly stuck in a book. He hadn't raised his head once throughout the whole fight.

Des and Lila's fight was getting worse by the second. Their screams were so loud that I felt a headache coming on. I decided to leave the room to get some air.

I got to the deck a few minutes later and took a moment to breathe in the cool night air. It felt soothing. After all the stress of the past two days, I really needed this.

I was leaning against the railing, enjoying the gentle spray from the sea, when a voice behind me broke me from my reverie.

"What are you doing out here?" Caleb asked, walking over to stand beside me.

"Just taking a little break." I said, brushing some hairs off my face.

"They're fighting?" Caleb asked.

An angry scream came from the cabin, as if to answer his question. I nodded anyway.

Silence descended around us. It was peaceful for a while, but quickly became boring. Then I remembered the question I had earlier.

"Caleb, what was up with Timmy after the explosion? He seemed really upset," I asked.

Caleb got a sad look in his eyes. He rubbed his face slowly and began to speak.

"I have to go back a little to answer that. My father met Uncle Dan on a mission when he was eighteen. He was infiltrating a gang that had been terrorizing a nearby town. After he had captured the members, he found a ten year old Uncle Dan in a cage at the lower levels of the house. He later found out that Uncle Dan had been kept hostage by the gang all his life. When he looked for Uncle Dan's family, he found out that they were among those killed by the gang. That's when he decided to take Uncle Dan under his wing. Uncle Dan grew up as part of the family and was given the energy. A couple of years after, he met a woman named Sarah. Sarah eventually married Uncle Dan and gave birth to Timmy. Uncle Dan had told her about his powers upfront and it seemed like she was okay with it, until Timmy started developing his own powers. Apparently, she couldn't handle being part of a family of 'freaks', so she left. Sarah's departure devastated both Timmy and Uncle Dan. They couldn't function properly for a long time until one day Uncle Dan woke up and decided that she couldn't have the last word. He told Timmy that they couldn't let her control their happiness. I guess blowing up the house was their way of getting closure," Caleb said shrugging.