Chapter 9

I woke up the next day on a strange, hard bed. I moved to get up but  immediately fell back.

I looked down at my chest and saw restraints holding me down. I tried to push them but they wouldn't budge.

Realizing I wasn't going anywhere for a while, I fell back on the pillow and looked around.

The room was white and sterile like an infirmary. It had all sorts of medical appliances scattered around it along with a couple of chairs.

I was wondering what I was doing in the room when it all rushed back to me.

The Trials.

I remember the intense headache and falling to the ground. I remember instinctively pushing the buzz into my hands and blasting through the doors.

I remember everyone doing amazing things. Lila's speed, Chris' strength, Luke's hacking and Alex's...

I realized that I didn't actually know what Alex's talent is. He showed super strength when he helped to hold the walls from closing in but somehow I didn't think that was his talent.

I was still thinking about this when Caleb walked into the room.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" he asked.

I did a quick assessment of myself and found that I was actually fine. Nothing was really different about me except for the buzzy sensation moving lazily under my skin.

"I am fine, I guess."

"Good," Caleb replied.

We descended into silence for a while, no one really knowing what to say. I couldn't take it anymore and had to break the silence.

"What happened yesterday Caleb? Why didn't you warn us? You knew exactly what was going to happen, I saw it in your eyes. You were the only person I thought I could trust here but apparently I was wrong. Another thing, how did people suddenly sprout SUPER POWERS?"

I was so angry at this point I just wanted to smack him. I moved to get up but the stupid restraints caused me to fall back once again. I groaned in frustration.

"CAN SOMEONE GET THESE THINGS OFF ME?!"

"You know if you really wanted to you could probably get them off yourself." Caleb said ignoring my rant.

"Oh really, genius. How do you suppose I do that?" I said sarcastically.

"Use your power."

This caused me to pause for a second. I thought about what he said and wondered if it was really true. I focused on the feeling underneath the skin and realized that was my power. It seemed to pulse in response to my attention. I remembered how I pushed it into the door from my hands to use it. The minute I thought this the power became concentrated in my hands. I tried to push it into the restraints but I couldn't reach them. This stumped me for a second. Then I got an idea. I gathered the energy into a ball in my hands and imagined it forming into a knife.

To my satisfaction, the ball instantly became a large knife. I had the knife but I still couldn't reach the restraints. I was starting to get really frustrated and wished that the knife could move.
To my surprise the knife jerked up away from palm. It remained hovering as I stared at it. I told it to move left and it did. I told it move right and it did.

I am not ashamed to say that this went on for a while.

I finally told the knife to slice across the restraints. The knife stopped moving and ripped through all the bonds like they were butter. I sat up feeling quite pleased with myself. The knife was still hovering in the air idly. I hesitated for a moment before calling it to me. The knife turned and came straight at me, the sharp point first. I should have been afraid seeing as a sharp knife was hurtling towards me but I wasn't.