Chapter 8

We were led to the ring by two guys of about our age. Their expressions were a mixture of awe and fear as they locked us in the metal box.

None of us thought to put up a fight. We were held still by shock. The click of a lock clamping brought us out of our trance and everyone immediately started to look for a way out.

Too late now.

The floor suddenly dropped down into a four-walled chamber with a metal door at the front of it. Next to the door was a keypad and a small computer.

A roof came out and covered up the open overhead space,  effectively caging us in.

A loud buzzing sound suddenly filled the room, causing us to cover our ears. This was followed by someone clearing their throat. Then a deep voice spoke.

"Masters, welcome to the Verification trails for CAVES. This is a test given to each set of core family leaders to show off the powers that have been passed down from generation to generation. It is also the test to check whether you are the true leaders of the CAVES, hence the name the Verification trials. It is merely a formality, especially in your cases. You will be given six trials, one to test each of you on your individual talents and the last to test your ability to work together. As you complete each challenge set for you, you will progress to the next chamber for the next Master's test. Now the first test is for Master Aristos, your strength is in that of the mind. So this should be simple. We want you to crack the code locking the door in under-"

"Done."

I whipped around to face the door and was surprised to see it open. Luke was leaning against the wall with the computer plugged into the keypad.

"You have completed your first challenge and may proceed to the next chamber."

Luke went to the next chamber still holding the computer and rapidly pressing buttons on it. Lila, Chris, Alex and I quickly followed him. As soon as we stepped into the chamber the door slammed shut behind us.

I moved quickly so I could talk to Luke.

"How did you crack that code so fast?"
"They were military grade locks, no problem," he replied moving away from me as fast as he could.

Well, if that's all it is.

The room was filled with the buzzing sound again but this time everyone was ready. The floor opened up at five points and out of holes came small  tables with metal boxes at the top. The boxes were labeled one to five  from left to right. Each box had red wire coming out of it on one side and a green one on the other side. There was also pair of pliers of the side of each box.

"The next test is for Master Valacci- speed. As you can see there are five boxes in the room, these boxes are bombs set to blow up at one second intervals after the previous. Your task, Master Vallaci, is to disable each box by first cutting the red wires of each box in the correct order then doing the same with the green wires. I must warn you, these are high class bombs that will go off and most likely kill all of you if not disabled. The first bomb will go off two second after the beep. Good luck."

The room was eerily silent for what seemed like an eternity but was only a couple of seconds. A loud beep filled the room and Lila immediately sprang into action. She was a blur as she flew around the room cutting all the wires.
She was back at our side in a blink with the first bomb's timer at one second remaining and the rest hadn't even gone off yet.

"Done," Lila said without breaking a sweat.

I was struck dumb at the speed at which she had diffused the bombs.