Chapter 12

We walked down the new path in silence, our minds fully focused on what we just experienced.

Chris seemed to be doing better. His steps had a little more bounce and his smile got brighter every second. Visually, it seemed like he was truly over the experience.

But I knew that wasn't true because every few seconds Chris would look over his shoulder as if waiting for someone to appear.

After Chris did this for the second time in ten seconds, Alex couldn't take it anymore.

"Chris, what happened back there? You totally freaked out, man. That wasn't you. What was with the little boy?"

He stopped walking and looked at Chris.

"Look, with all due respect man, its really none of your business," said Chris, all traces of happiness gone from his face.

"None of our business? Dude, we almost died back there because of you. I think that makes it our business,"shouted Alex.

"It's something that happened years ago. It really isn't a big deal. Sure, it threw me off my game for a while but I am totally over it now so just let it go, okay?" Chris responded just as loud.

The fight seemed to be escalating quite quickly and I really didn't know how to stop it. Then something occurred to me.

"Chris, who's Danny?" I said.

A flash of pain swept across Chris' face. All the anger seemed to fly out of his body. He rubbed his face slowly and released a deep sigh. Then he started to speak.

"It was about nine years ago. I had just turned ten. It was the beginning of the school year in Kenya and my little brother was just starting primary school. His name was Danny. Our school wasn't far from the house so I usually walked there every morning on my own. We lived in a safe, well off area so walking around was fine. That morning, Danny was going to follow me for his first day at school. We walked outside together but I forgot our lunches at home. I told Danny to wait for me and I ran back inside. I looked back at him just to make sure he was okay. He smiled at me and waved."

Chris was sniffing at this point, trying to hold back tears. He took a deep, shuddering breath.

"I had just picked up the lunches and was about to leave the house when I heard the sound of a car speeding down the road. Then I heard the shots."

I gasped, dreading what I knew was coming.

"I dropped everything and ran outside but I was too late. Danny was there on the floor with blood pooling out under him. I screamed for my mother and ran to Danny shaking him over and over, begging him to wake up even though I knew he was gone. My mother rushed out and saw him lying there. I saw the moment when it sunk in. Her eyes held utter heartbreak yet she took one look at ME and hugged me close. I was hysterical at this point screaming that it was my fault but she just held me close whispering, 'No sweetie, it wasn't and it never will be.' repeatedly. Though she had lost even more than I had, she still took care of me. She took me to therapy and everything became better over the years. I thought I had gotten over the guilt but I guess not." Chris shrugged sadly, wiping the tears that had broken through.

Lila walked to him and hugged tightly whispering something to him. Chris held onto her, gripping the back of her shirt tightly. Alex also went to him and patted his back.

"Chris, I am so sorry man," he said.

After a bit, Chris pulled himself together.

"Can we just get going please?" he said awkwardly.

"Yeah, I think I hear something down the path," I said, not only trying to get the attention away from Chris but genuinely hearing something. It sounded like hissing.