Chapter 16

I couldn't move. I just stood there gaping at High Trainer Globe. In less than a moment he was just...gone.

I looked around at the rest of the group.

Lila was openly crying. Chris was looking everywhere except at High Trainer Globe. Alex kept whispering "This is messed up" and Luke just seemed really confused.

I didn't know High Trainer Globe for that long but his death really hit me hard, I can only imagine what Caleb...

Caleb

I turned to Caleb, ready to comfort him in any way I could, but what I saw stopped me in my tracks. Caleb wasn't crying, breaking down or moving. He wasn't freaking out at all. Heck, the guy was barely blinking. He was just staring at his father with a blank expression on his face.

I reached out to touch him, hoping to snap him out of it, but just as I made contact Caleb jerked up.

"We have to keep moving. We need to get as far away as we possibly can before the Hunters are able to establish their perimeters," he said mechanically.

So that was what he was going to do. He was planning to pretend like nothing happened. That wasn't healthy and I wasn't going to let him do it.

"Caleb, stop it," I said softly.

Caleb looked at me briefly before continuing to speak.

"Once we get to the tunnels, you have to be quiet because they run directly through HQ. Any sound you make will probably be heard by those outside. I am hoping the gunfire masks the sound of our steps."

"Caleb, I am serious. You can't ignore what just happened, " I insisted.

Caleb didn't even spare me a look this time before carrying on. The others were standing quietly watching the exchange.

"The tunnel is about five miles long. Once we get out we will then have to-"

"Caleb, your father is dead. You cannot shut down and act like nothing happened because that will destroy you!" I shouted.

Caleb turned to me, finally showing some emotion. His eyes were filled with pain, sorrow and a hint of anger.

"Sephora, I am well aware that my father is dead. A part of me died the very second he passed away but this is not the time nor the place for me to lose it. I need to honour his last wish first before I can really grieve him. That wish was to get you all to safety. Please just allow me to deal with this in the only way I know how right now. Please," he whispered.

I went up to him and pulled him close. I had to go on my tiptoes in order to reach him.

"I am sorry Caleb. I was just worried about you. I know how it feels to lock things up inside," I whispered to him.

"I know Sephora. Thank you for caring but I need to do this for my father. I need to do this for me," he whispered back. Then he let go and turned to the others.

"We need to get going," he said moving to wooden panel on the group.

He reached down to the panel just like High Trainer Globe did. But this time instead of pressing it down once he pushed it twice quickly.

The floor dropped just like before but this time we were prepared. Once the floor stopped moving, we found ourselves in a dark, damp tunnel.

I created a small ball of light and saw Caleb moving down the tunnel. The rest of us quickly followed him.

I knew the very minute we had entered the heart of HQ. Inside the tunnel you could hear everything so clearly. The battle was still going strong. Every shot and scream seemed to be right next to you. I flinched when a shot sounded particularly close to the tunnel. It was a truly horrifying experience.