Epilogue - Sarah

Sarah stared into the dark night with an odd mix of feelings. The castle she had called her home for several years now resembled a giant bonfire.

She couldn't describe how she felt as she watched the building burn. Anger, sadness, pain, joy, all melting into a certain nothingness.

Well, that wasn't actually true. There was one emotion that stood out among the flood.

Fear

It was the kind of fear that crawled up your spine and flew straight to your heart. The kind of fear that kept you awake night. The kind that could only be evoked by the man standing in front of her, watching his empire crumble.

After one of the aides had picked up on the unusual gas readings, they had been rushed to an underground bunker with a few essential people. Unfortunately, the aide didn't make the cut.

Sarah gulped as she approached his rigid form. The men needed instruction and she had drawn the short straw. Now she was forced to talk to him.

Sarah cleared her throat and spoke timidly, similar to how one would when faced with a wild animal.

"I am sorry for your loss, Sir. " She said.

Sarah waited for some time but got no reply. Thinking he may not have heard her she started to speak again but stopped at the sound of his voice.

"Whatever for my dear? Everything is perfect." Duke replied.

He has finally lost it Sarah thought, considering what to say next.

"Why is this perfect, Sir? Our, sorry I mean your, research has been destroyed. It will take years for us to gather as much information as we did especially as some key people are dead." She asked cautiously.

She waited silently for his reply, knowing he was deep in thought.

"Have you ever heard the phrase, 'When God closes a door, he opens a window.' ?" Duke asked lightly.

"Yes, Sir." Sarah replied.

Duke turned around slowly, revealing a worn, leather journal in his hands along with several vials of blood.

"God just opened one hell of a window. "

A/N: So Duke has the journal. What do we think of that?

Stay tuned for the Acknowledgements and what may be a second book!!!!

Thank you all again for staying with me this all through this journey.

Lots of love,

Rhe Tache.