Chapter 6

I would like to say that I barely blinked and took it all in stride but we both know that would be a lie.

"What do you mean that I'm her?" I screamed.

I looked around the plane, searching for possible escape routes.

There's no where to run thousands of feet in the air!

"You are the last member of the Cronus family," Caleb repeated.

"That's impossible! My last name is Baxter, not Cronus and it can't be my mother because her maiden name was Williams," I said.

"Maybe you were lied to," Des said, tapping away on her phone.

I was sick of her attitude and was just about to tell her when Jade spoke.

"Seph, you are the one we've been looking for. You should be proud that you are going to be part of something that could change the world. You are the last living member of the Cronus family, the head of the core families, " she said softly.

"All I'm hearing is core family this and core family that but I have no idea what it even means." I was starting to get a little hysterical. Then something she said hit me.

"Did you say head of the core families?" I asked.

Jade came up to me and wrapped her hands around me. I shrugged her off, ignoring the hurt look on her face.

Caleb took that as his cue to continue talking.

"The core families are the five families that left the Hunters after World War 1-"

I had to interrupt him there.

"World War 1 was started by the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand."

"Yes, but it was initiated by the Hunters."

"How?"

"Look, that is really not the point, just accept that they did, okay?" Caleb said.

Whoa, someone's touchy.

He took a deep breath to calm himself before carrying on.

"The Hunters was an organization that originated in the early 1700's. They were a group of assassins-"

"Assassins. You're joking, right?" I said.

Caleb carried on ignoring my comment, "- who worked for the British government. They acted as a higher form of authority and quietly kept the peace. After a while, the Hunters started to get greedy and began to loan out their services to whoever paid the most. Soon, they were killing for gang leaders, ex-convicts, drug dealers, etc. Eventually, they were caught and executed but by then they had passed on the organization to their children, who passed it on to their children and so on. When they started harming innocents , the five families knew that the Hunters had gone too far. They decided to train a group of warriors against the Hunters and they called them CAVES."

I went back to my seat, exhausted. My mind ran through the conversation over and over again but soon all I could think of was the soothing feeling of the plane's vibrations. I slowly closed my eyes and fell into a deep sleep.

I was woken up by a bright light coming through the window. I reached up to pull down the shutter and was met with cool air. My eyes flew open immediately and I sat up groggily. I was sitting on something soft and springy which my sleepy brain registered as a bed.

I realized that I was no longer on the plane. Instead, I was in a plain room with off white walls. The room had very little furniture in it save for a closet and chest of drawers.