Chapter 3

I remained on the floor clutching the necklace in my hand long after my father had left the room.

The scene that just occurred ran through my mind and one word kept cutting through.

Goodbye

Flashes of that dreadful night brought tears to my eyes. I saw my mother's terrified eyes as she screamed at me.

"Promise me, Sephora. Promise me!"

A promise I had yet to complete.

I sprang up so suddenly that I startled those working around me.

I thanked Maddy and Steve for organizing the party and apologized for the mess before walking out.

I hurried to my room as fast as my feet would take me.

As soon as I got in, I shut the door behind me and leaned against it breathing heavily.

I reached up to turn on the light but let my hand fall instead. It had been a while since I had a moment to myself. I looked around the dark room. The shine from the moon gave it an ethereal feel.

I inherited a lot of my looks from him. I got his blond hair and tall build. People said I looked just like him except for one thing.

I brushed away a couple of tears from my eyes. The night had left me feeling drained, physically and mentally. The darkness was actually a relief to me. It had a numbing effect, momentarily allowing me to get lost in it.

I stood there allowing it to seep into my bones, just thinking.

I realized that I couldn't stay in this house anymore. It was suffocating me. My only sanity came from Steve and Maddy but I knew they would eventually retire.
I needed to start a new life. A life without my father.

I shook my head, remembering the reason I came here.

I hurried to the closet and I ripped off the floorboard, grasping the brown package underneath. I reached for the opening but my hand froze in midair. This was the moment I'd been waiting for. I'd held on, albeit unconsciously, just for this moment and now I was sitting there, scared to open it.

I took in a deep breath and tore open the package. Inside was a white envelope along with several wads of cash.

I picked up the envelope and ripped off the flap,  bringing out a folded sheet of paper. I opened the letter and  read it.

My dear Sephora, 30-03-03 i love you. Trust your instincts. i will always be with Her. Follow your Destiny, be careful at all times. You will always be highest in my heart

That's it? That's what I've waited for.

I tossed the paper away in frustration and slumped to the ground.

I always held out on the hope that this letter would reveal everything to me. I thought it would unlock the secrets as to what happened to my mother. But all I saw here was evidence that my mother was a quack.

I dragged myself off the floor, still lost in my thoughts,  when a hand wrapped around my mouth, jerking me back against a hardchest.

"Don't scream."

A thousand possible reactions ran through my mind. I could hear my martial arts instructor screaming different escapes at me but at the end only one force was guiding me.

Panic.

I bit down hard on the hand against my mouth causing the person to pull back, putting space between us.