Chapter 23

We were locked in the back of another van, but this time shackled to the wall with some modified handcuffs. They must have been made with similar technology to the guns because they messed up our powers.

We had given up on breaking out of the van after the first horrible try. Alex's nose was still bleeding from Chris' attempt. Now everyone was just sitting down, waiting for the inevitable. Well, everyone except Uncle Dan.

Uncle Dan was still struggling to break free of the handcuffs. He was trying so hard that sweat was running down his face and his wrists had been rubbed raw. It looked really painful but he didn't seem to notice.

"Uncle, stop. It isn't going to work." Caleb said quietly.

"I don't care." grunted Uncle Dan, still pulling.

"You're just going to hurt yourself, Uncle." Caleb said in a reasonable tone.

Uncle Dan suddenly dropped his arms and turned to Caleb. His eyes glistened with tears but also blazed with anger.

"Those fools out there have my son. Only God knows what they are doing or saying to him. As long as I have breath in my body, I will continue to do everything in my power to get my son to safety. And right now, these cuffs are in my way." He said heatedly before pushing against the cuffs again.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for Uncle Dan. The pain he was going through must be unbearable.

Uncle Dan seemed to give up on the handcuffs and started to bang against the divider.

"Where's my son?! Give me my son!" he screamed.

The van screeched to a halt. I could hear the sound of doors slamming shut outside. The van doors flew open, bathing the room with light.

A guy in a full black uniform brought out a small gun and shot Uncle Dan. Uncle Dan slumped to the ground. He was the one had held Timmy hostage.

Oh my Gosh

"What the hell! You shot him!" Caleb screamed jerking to his feet.

"Calm down kid. It was a tranquilizer round, non- lethal. We can't have any of you hurting yourselves." The man said in a gruff voice, gesturing at Uncle Dan.

I did a quick scan of Uncle Dan and confirmed the man's words to the group.

The man called a group of Hunters and barked out several commands to them. He was obviously their leader.

The Hunters straightened up and moved to carry out his commands. They filed into van in groups of two. The first couple released Uncle Dan from the wall, leaving the handcuffs on, and lifted him off the ground. The rest of the Hunters repeated this motion for each of us, leading us out of the bus with chains.

I stepped out of the van, shielding my eyes from the bright sunlight. Once my vision cleared, I was able to see where I was being led. The vision in front of me was terrifying.

The building we were being taken into was dark and daunting. It looked like an olden day stone castle with a huge wooden door and high spires.

It was a truly intimidating sight, one meant to keep intruders far away, yet it wasn't what scared me. The whole building seemed to hum with some sort of foreign energy. It felt like the energy was reaching out and tasting me. The closer I got to the building, the more violated I felt.

A shiver ran down my spine as I looked over the building once again. I glanced at the others and noticed they had similar looks of discomfort.

The Hunter holding me jerked my chain forward causing me to stumble a little. When we reached the door, the Hunter pulled me to a stop. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a long strip of white cloth.