Chapter 15

"When I look around today, I see the future. Now it's no secret our past has been flawed. Sensei Kreese fell victim to his demons. But John Kreese is not Cobra Kai. We are. We've already shown we're champions. But that championship is merely a springboard to new heights. That's why I've brought in some of the finest senseis in the Valley. Consider this their job interview." Silver told his students.

Suddenly Tory ran in and stepped into line. Kyler laughed and cupped his face hollering "Let's all give it up. Champ is in the house."

Silver smiled at her "She's allowed to be a little late." he gave Tory a joking pointed look "Today."

"When you gonna bring your trophy in?" Kenny asked her. Try shook her head looking at Seraphina anxiously "Not today."

"Tory are you-?" Sera started but she was cut off "All right, warm up." Sensei Silver told them he gestured around "The senseis will instruct you. Let's see what they know."

"All right. Let's go.-" one guy gathered a group of 8 kids, 4 girls, 4 boys. He put everyone in pairs then put them on mats and instructed them on where they had to score a point. 

"Circle round your opponent" he ordered "You, Miss Silver must hit Miss Dain on the middle of her spine. Miss Dain you must strike Miss Silver on the neck"

Sera briefly looked at the sensei "But I won't get a point in a tournament by hitting them on the back" she inputted. The sensei gritted his teeth "Well in a real fight your opponent will not just stop because you had "won" a point. You have to be ready to use any means necessary"

Sera was going to protest but the girl she had paired with decided to strike her on the neck but she also caught her throat and Seraphina gagged momentarily trying to regain her breath. 

"Get up. Pathetic girl" When training was over Sera went to gather her stuff but she also had to check her neck. The Dain girl had hit her hard enough that her neck was going to bruise. 

Just as she was about to leave she saw Tory approach her grandfather "I need to talk to you.-" she told him angrily. He just smiled at her "Nichols, what's on your mind? Excited to take things to the next level?" 

"What's the point?" she scoffed "You'll just pay to make me champion again."

Silver's face fell into a small smile as he asked "So you know about the ref. Told anyone else?"

"Not yet.- So you don't deny it?" she clarified. Silver shook his head "Not at all. I paid him off to make sure Cobra Kai won. It was an insurance policy. You still won the fight.-"

Tory shrugged off his comforting hand on her shoulder "Did I?"

"Of course you did." he assured her "You're the champion. I know it. LaRusso knows it. The whole Valley knows it. If you don't believe it, you're the only person who doesn't."

"What am I supposed to do? Just go back to normal? Act like nothing happened?"

"Listen. I'm not Sensei Kreese. I don't have the connection you two had. I never had to scrape and claw my whole life, like you." he sympathised with her " But what I do know is how to use every advantage to ensure victory."

Tory rolled her yes and folded her arms "You mean cheating."

"The tournament was a matter of Cobra Kai's survival." he could see Tory was not listening so he decided to use a different approach "If a person steals food to survive, are they cheating? Or are they doing what must be done?" Silver asked. 

"If it was just a matter of Cobra Kai's survival then why did you pay the ref to make sure Sera lost to Sam." Tory asked confused. Sera's breath caught in her throat once more. 

She hadn't technically lost the match against Sam, she'd used an illegal move and the ref allowed it. Her own grandfather had ensured her failure in the tournament. 

"Like I said it was a matter of survival, yes Seraphina is skilled but you" he paused "you have a killer instinct. I want you to be here. And I want you to be you." he took a step back raising his hands in defense "If you choose to leave, I won't hold it against you. But if you come back tomorrow, I will make you the future of this dojo. The decision is yours."

Silver went to his office and Troy ran out of The Dojo. Sera just sat their not quite believing what she had just hear. Who could she even talk about it with. Not her grandfather because he'd betrayed her, not Tory because she already seemed to be struggling and Robby wasn't even in the same country as he right now so he couldn't do much. This wasn't the kind of conversation you could have over the phone. 

Sera just sighed and decided to keep it to herself.