Chapter 12

"You've got to be kidding me," I protested, my eyes fully on Stefan.

"Did you know about this?!"

"I-" he started and he then straightened his back, his eyes no longer concerned but stern.

"I knew of it," he told me, "but it is for the good of our mafias."

"You're joking," I scoffed, "you, out of all people knew, and you didn't tell me!"

"Why would I tell you? We're not friends, we're nothing." He said harshly.

I took a deep breath of anger, my body fuming with rage as I stared at them.

"Do I have a choice?" I breathed out, and my father stilled.

"No."

*******************************

I spent the rest of the time locked in my room, savoring the feeling of my warm sheets.

I was told tomorrow we would be leaving to our home, alone with each other.

So this is why my parents have been so nice to Stefan. They knew he was joining our side, and wanted us to get to know each other.

Why didn't I see this before?

Why out of all people I had to marry Stefan. Stefan! My worst fucking enemy, the person I hate most in this world.

Why him?

I groaned into my pillow. So this is it?

I'll spend the rest of my life being chained to the man I hate, and I will have to worry about him taking over?

I was the one who was to rule the American mafia, I was to be the leader.

And now I will have to share. I'll have to share everything I ever worked for.

"Fuck!" I shouted into my pillow, my voice hoarse from the yelling I did from downstairs.

Why did I feel betrayed by him? Like he said, we weren't friends, we are nothing.

*******************************

"Elena dear, we'll miss you so much," my mother sniffled, engulfing me in a large hug.

"Don't be sad, this was your idea," I gritted
out, glancing at Stefan's parents who talked
with my father.

"I'm not gonna lie, I won't miss you," Katherine said from behind my mother, not even inching towards me.

"The feelings mutual," I muttered, watching as my father made his way over to me.

"I'm proud," he whispered, "I'm very proud
of you."

I didn't say anything as he hugged me tight,
his arms circling around me in a warm hug.

"We'll see you soon," he said, patting me on
the shoulders when he pulled away.

"Sure."

Stefan didn't say anything as he opened the
door, walking down the concrete steps and onto the path towards the driveway.

I heard the door shut behind us, and I walked
a few feet behind him, careful not to get too
close.

I fucked hated him even more.

The worst part is, we'll have to pretend.

That's right. The rest of the fucking mafia
doesn't know that it's fake, and we have to keep
up the "act" in order for it to seem real.

The problem was, most of our members don't like the other mafias, and there has been wars when there were joining between two.

This was the safe bet, pretending to actually be
in love.

It was utter bullshit.

My father was lucky that I would do anything
for my mafia, and anything to keep it. And if
this is what I would have to do? Then I better
fucking do it.

He quickly opened the trunk to put in his things, and then quickly closed it in front of me, making me scowl at him.

I opened it and threw my bags in, not worrying if I hit any of his.

"Hurry the fuck up," he growled from outside the car, slamming the door when he got in.

I took my time walking to the passenger side door, and slid into the seat.

He started the engine to his car and didn't waste any time driving off, going his usual speed.

I bit back my remark on how fast he was going, and decided to keep quiet.

Not like I wanted to talk to him anyway.

The ride was silent, and after a while it was night fall.

I couldn't help but close my eyes every so often, exhaustion hitting me quickly as we turned every corner.

"Just go to sleep," he spoke, the first word he's said to me this entire way.

"So that way you can kill me?" I scoffed, "no
thanks."

"Can you stop being a bitch about this and just go to bed," he said harshly, "fuck, Elena. I can't take this anymore."

I muttered a curse towards him and positioned myself on the seat, resting my head against the window.

Soon I was rocked asleep, the soft playing of music in the background ringing in my ears as I drifted off.

And when I woke up, I was no longer in the car, but on a bed.

But when I turned over, I wasn't alone.

Stefan laid down beside me, shirtless, his body hugging a pillow as he slept.