Chapter 37

I let out a groan as I sat up, a painful feeling in my head as I adjusted to the fresh sun that was
coming through the windows.

Once I realized what had happened, I shot up, quickly racing out of our bedroom and down the stairs.

When I didn't expect to find was a large group of people in the kitchen, living room, and the foyer, all of them working on something.

I walked past the people who were on
computers, then the others examining guns
until I reached the kitchen, where I saw both Stefan and I's parents talking at the counter.

"Elena," my father said as I walked in, his arms wide as he brought me into a hug.

"We're glad you're okay," my mother continued on, giving me a warm smile as I glanced at everyone.

"What's going on," I asked.

They all looked at each other, Lillian looking down and Giuseppe clearing his throat.

"Stefan has been captured by the Russian mafia," he said to me, gripping onto the counter tightly.

"He's not dead?" I asked quite loudly, and they
gave me an odd look.

"As far as we know," he said, handing his phone to me. "This was sent this morning by an
unknown contact, and as our health experts say, he looks alive - barely."

My breath hitched as I grabbed onto the phone, looking down at the clear image that was on it.

There lays Stefan, on a table, his body bloody and filled with bruises.

My hand shook as I handed it back to him, and he gave me a tight smile as he put it into his
back pocket.

"So what's happening, why is everyone here?"
I asked.

"We're working hard to locate them, but it's
been days since we had any leads-"

"Days?" I interrupted.

They all looked at each other again, and I felt myself snap with anger.

"Can you fucking tell me what's going on, I'm his wife, I have the right to know."

"Don't tell me you've learned to care for Stefan?" My father said, and I quickly shut my mouth.

"It's been four days since you flew back, four days since Stefan's been missing." Giuseppe said after a moment, and I breathed in deeply, grabbing the chair by the counter and sitting.

"Did Liam give any leads? Any trails,
anything?" I asked as I ran my hands through my hair.

"The only lead we have is the image Liam had sent, and the message below it," Giuseppe told
me. "How close were you and Liam?"

I took a deep breath and leaned back, watching as a group of people casually ate lunch together.

"We were close back at the academy, he even knew Stefan too," I said. "Then after a bit, we started to date, until he cheated on me."

I clenched my jaw tightly as I remembered the day I walked in on him and Katherine, the disgusted feeling rising up my throat.

"He came after us awhile ago, in the warehouse, where Stefan shot him."

I watched as my mouth came around with glasses of drinks, and she patted me on the shoulder when she handed me a glass of water.

Giuseppe and my father had a glass of whiskey in their hands, and I felt my own throat burn as I watched Giuseppe down the glass.

"He wants you," my father said to me, "that is what the message is about."

I darted my eyes up from the floor to him,
swallowing deeply as I remembered what he had said that night and how he wanted me.

"What exactly does the message say?" I asked.

They all looked at each other again, and I clenched my fists at my sides, the familiar anger rising inside of me again.

But Giuseppe finally answered when he pulled out his phone again, reading the message to me.

"The Salvatore and Pierce family," he started. "I have demands you must meet in order for your son to stay alive."

He took a deep breath as he scrolled down.

"On Saturday night, I want Elena to come alone to this address, with no weapons, and no one else but herself."

"If these demands aren't met, you can kiss
your son goodbye."

He put the phone back in his pocket, watching as I stood up.

"What's the day today?" I asked, and he held up his hand.

"Elena no-"

"What is the date!" I said loudly, and he just looked down, clenching his jaw as he glanced at my father.

"Saturday," he said quietly.

"I'm going," I said shortly, "give me the
address."

"Elena no, you are not going," my father budded in, my mom shaking her head as she looked
at me.

"You don't get to decide, this is my choice, he wants me."

"It's not safe, you're staying here!"

I winced at how loud my father yelled, and everyone went silent.

"This is final," he warned, "you are to stay here."

I just shook my head, "whatever, fuck you." I said, brushing past Giuseppe and making my
way back to the living room.

I walked by the group of people who were working and made my way upstairs, reaching my room and locking the door.

I took a deep breath as I walked to the window, opening it and glancing down.

"I'll make it," I shrugged, stepping out onto the ledge and jumping down into the brush below.

I ran to the garage that was at the side of the house and started the car, thankful for the
spare keys in the mirror on top.

I pulled out what I grabbed out of my pocket,
smiling down as I swiped through.

"Perfect," I said, putting Giuseppe's phone onto the dash, driving to the address where I was
told not to go.