Chapter 17

I sat on the bed, watching as people came into my room, carrying bins of items and racks of
dresses.

I was then pulled onto a chair, different hands playing with my head of hair, flipping it around and checking the length.

"It'll have to do," one of them said, glancing at me in the mirror.

I ignored the comment, and watched in silence as they did my hair and makeup.

Soon enough, they were finished and I was tugged to the middle of the room.

Many hands were now on my waist and my hips, finding the perfect dress.

They grabbed different dresses and put them against my body, some claiming the color didn't match or didn't fit perfectly.

Finally, I was given a dress to put on, the black fabric pooling at my feet.

It was sparkly, enough to make me noticed.

Great.

I walked out of the bathroom, all the workers
heads turning toward me.

"Mrs. Salvatore," one of them gasped, their hand to their mouth as I glided into the room.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and instead thanked them.

I was then told to go outside, where both Stefan and a limo would be waiting.

The sound of my heels clicking against the stairway echoed across the foyer, my hand grabbing onto the railing and stepping my way down.

I saw Stefan at the bottom, his eyes fixed on
the phone in his hand.

But as soon as I reached the bottom step he looked up, his eyes slightly widening
as he trailed his eyes up then down.

"Elena," he started, his mouth opening
then closing.

I still held onto the railing. "Save the insults," I said.

He cleared his throat, adjusting his suit as he
stared back down at me.

"No," he told me, "I was going to say you look beautiful."

"Oh," I said, a slight smile on my face. "Thank
you."

I watched as his lips twitched up, showing a small smile, but then he let it fall quickly, brushing off the emotion.

"We must go now, we'll be late."

I nodded my head, following him out the door.

He stopped on the landing outside the front of
the house, extending his arm toward mine.

"The pretending starts now," he whispered
in my ear.

I froze for a moment.

We must pretend we're in love.

I nodded once again, looping my arm through his and walking down the steps.

He opened the limo door for me, helping
me step through.

He shut the door softly and then walked over
to the other side, hopping in the seat as well.

The driver looked in the rear mirror, and Stefan quickly grabbed my hand holding it tightly.

He nodded to the man, signaling for him to
start driving.

I went to pull my hand away, but he grabbed
onto it, holding it in place.