Chapter 19

I awoke to the sunlight streaming through the open windows, the slight breeze brushing against the curtains.

I sat up, yawning and stretching my arms, feeling the empty bed beside me.

I glanced at where Stefan normally slept, the covers moved and a vacant spot visible.

I took a sip of the water that I left on my night
stand and got up to leave, my feet still aching as I walked down the stairs.

The smell and sounds of cooking made my
stomach rumble and my mouth water, the sizzling sounds making me walk faster.

I stopped in my tracks when I saw Stefan, standing next to an old lady.

I watched as he laughed at her comment, his chuckles echoing around the room.

His hands were covered in flour, even his
face and neck had bits and pieces of it too.

The lady handed him a spatula, allowing him to flip whatever was on the stove.

I continued to walk quietly, not wanting to
disturb them.

But when Stefan turned around, a smile still on his face, I watched his eyes soften, nudging the lady and whispering in her ear.

She giggled when she turned around to me, a loving smile directed towards me.

"You must be the girl Stefan had told me about," she said, rubbing her hands on her apron.

I glanced at Stefan, who was back to
flipping French toast.

"I'm Elena," I said, shaking her hand and
smiling back at her.

"I'm Rose," she said, "Stefan's grandmother."

A sudden realization kicked in, and I recognized her from the party last night.

"It's nice to see you again," I said, the heat rushing to my cheeks, "I was so tired last night
I just couldn't keep up with everything."

"Nonsense." She smiled, "I understand."

"Have a seat," Stefan mumbled toward me, his voice muffled by the sounds of the French toast cooking.

I sat down on the bar stool, thanking Rose as she gave me a cup of coffee.

Then Stefan came over, a plate in his hand filled with French toast and fruit.

"Wow," I said, "this looks really good."

I didn't waste any time engulfing in the food, moaning into the fork as I devoured the fruit
and toast.

"I'm going to take a nap," Stefan's grandmother said yawning, "all that cooking has sure made
me tired."

"Do you need any help?" Stefan asked, walking over to her.

"No, no, boy. Sit down with this pretty girl," she smiled, "I'll be alright."

"Okay," he said quietly, watching as she made
her way down the hall.

Stefan sat down next to me, grabbing a plate for himself and piling pieces of French toast and
fruit as well.

"I didn't know you could cook," I said, stabbing a strawberry with my fork.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about
me," he shrugged, his eyes fully trained on
me as I moaned into the toast again.

"Like what?" I grumbled, finishing up my
last piece.

"That I'm better than you at everything," he smirked, taking a sip of my coffee.

"That's mine," I hissed out, trying to snatch the cup away from him.

"Not anymore," he said, downing the rest of
the cup.

"Jackass," I muttered, grabbing my plate and washing it.

The sudden body heat at my back made me suck in a deep breath, and Stefan nudged me away.

"Don't worry about it," he said, grabbing my plate and washing it himself.

"No," I started, "I want to help."

"You're best to just stay away," he said quietly.

"Oh-" I whispered out, backing away. "Sorry I bother you so much," I spat.

I watched as he opened his mouth, and then he closed it, his eyes following me as I left the room.

I spent the rest of the day with his grandma, learning new ways to cook and to garden.

We started a flower garden in the back - not like I could keep care of it - but it was nice to
spend time with her.

Soon it was sundown, and Stefan took her home, leaving me alone in the house.

I walked to the bedroom, showering and changing quickly.

I looked through my drawers, not seeing any shirts to wear.

So I went to Stefan's, pulling out one of his black t-shirts and putting it on.

When I went to close it, my eyes snagged on something, a black box in the corner.

I pulled it out, opening it to reveal a diamond ring.

"Snooping around?" I heard someone say from behind me, making me jump.

"Don't sneak up on me like that Stefan," I
breathed, watching as he stepped closer to
me, taking the box out of my hands.

"This was my grandmother's ring," he said quietly, opening the box again, "she wanted you
to have it."

"Me?" I said, "it's only a fake marriage."

"That's what I said too, but she insisted."

He took the ring out of the box, grabbing my left hand softly and placing the ring on my
ring finger.

"There," he whispered, "now it's official."

I took a deep breath, examining my hand, which was still being held by Stefan's.

"Thank you," I breathed out, watching as he nodded and let my hand go.

He didn't say anything else as he got changed and sat in bed, waiting for me to join him.

"That shirt looks good on you," he said
smirking, the first time I heard him joke in awhile.

I rolled my eyes, sitting in the bed beside him.

"Goodnight Stefan," I said, laying down.

"Goodnight," he said, shutting off the lights.

"If you lose that ring I'll kill you," he whispered in my ear, turning over and laying down as
well.

I slightly smiled to myself, running my finger over the diamond once more.