IX

"Out of all the idiotic things you could've done. You decided to go off on your own and almost get yourself killed,"

"I'm grateful here Askel," Ron said as he struggled to keep up with him, "I feel like I could never repay you. If you weren't there-"

"You'd probably be dead," Askel finished as they made their way through the thin alleys of Godrics Hollow, "and keep the hood in. Everyone out here knows your face by now and to turn you in after you're in a run-in at the ministry."

"You heard about that?"

"Who hasn't?"

Ron tightened his hoodie.

"Where are we going?"

"Somewhere we can lay low for a while,"

"We?" Ron asked, "what happened to you?"

Askel whipped around and slammed Ron against the wall.

"Listen here kid," he snarled, "what I'm doing with my life is my business and my business only. Got it?"

Ron nodded nervously and looked at where Askel was practically choking him.

"You do this to Harry often?" He asked with some humor

Askel's jaw ticked and he lifted his fist as he punched him across the face.

"Ow!" Ron whined, "alright I'm sorry. It's just my ill attempt at getting out of bad situations."

"Just shut up and follow me,"

**
They ended up inside a dingy little inn, Ron's face went pink when Askel asked for a single room. For which Askel rolled his eyes and said "Separate beds."

Now they were sitting here, in a room that was dimly lit by a dying candle. It was silent as Ron continued to glance at Askel, wanting to ask a question.

"Just spit it out," Askel sighed as he flipped through the book he was reading.

"It's just..." Ron started, "I haven't seen you since the wedding. We heard rumors. That you were working at Hogwarts, then the ministry, at a desk job."

Askel stayed silent.

"Harry never stopped thinking about you,"

Askel's eyes paused.

"He would stare at that map for hours," he explained, "watching you."

"That's a bit creepy,"

"Yeah well," Ron rolled his eyes, "he continued to love you. Even after you left us."

"He's naive. Innocent,"

"And you never stopped him from pursuing you," Ron said and Askel noticed he was getting irritated, "after everything we did. Everything we did for you."

Askel slammed the book on the bed and whipped his head to Ron.

"What exactly have you done for me, Ronald?"

"We practically saved you. Multiple times. And you still chose the wrong side!"

"It's not about sides Ron!" Askel burst out, "It hasn't been for a long time."

Ron paused, Askel's face was bright red, he looked exhausted and teary-eyed.

"Everyone continues to ask me to choose sides," he said, "but in the end, we're just people who got dragged into a pointless war."

"Pointless?" Ron seethed, "If no one intervened then you know who would have taken over. There would be no muggle-borns in the Wizarding world. Isn't that horrible?"