FORTY-THREE

Baton Rouge

Nina Simmons, 22
October

As Nina walked through her mom's shop a guy looked up from his phone at her. She hated whenever had no business looking at her.

She rolled her eyes then went to the back to see her mom.

"Passion!" Nina dragged out. "Mama who is that man sitting out there?"

"One of my stylists has a client and she's only seven. That's her dad, he's waiting on her to finish. He's handsome right?" She smiled at Nina.

"Yea but ian looking. I just came to get my baby."

"Let me go introduce you to him. He's a really good guy. He owns business and he's not a cheater."

"How you know? All niggas cheat."

"Not him"

"So where his baby mama at then?"

"He said she died a few months ago. His daughter, Kendall is taking it hard so he's been trying to do everything he can to make her feel better. They broke up when she was four."

"So why he single?"

"Don't know" She shrugged "Mama ion wanna talk I just wanna go home." She responded

"Okay fine, let me just walk y'all to the car then." Knowing her mom she knew she was gonna make her talk to him anyway.

Nina grabbed Passion's diaper bag then followed her mom out the room. When they came out from the break room then everybody got back to work causing Nina to laugh.

"What you laughing at?" Her mom asked. "Nun"

"Tyshawn, this is my daughter Tink. She's single you should take her on a date." Christina smiled while looking at the both of them. "It's nice to meet you Tink but ian really lookin' fa no relationship right na." He spoke as he shook her hand.

"It's nice to meet you too and neither am I. My mama just extra, I told her not to do this."

"Y'all can exchange numbers and just be friends or something."

"Ite... this your baby?" He asked "Yes"

"Ahh nah I might as well not even give you my number. If she this lil I know her daddy still around." He chuckled "And is!" One of the stylist mumbled behind them so Nina turned around.

"Girl hush" She rolled her eyes. "Sorry" She giggled

"Imma spare myself da disappointment n not even exchange numbers witchu. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day Tink."

"You too Tyshawn. Come on mama before you aggravate me girl."

Nina grabbed her mom's hand then they went outside to her car. "He was nice right?" Christina asked while strapping Passion in her carseat.

"Yes but Sincere would kill me."

"Nina" She sighed deeply. "That man has so much control over you and you don't even realize it. He cheated and now you're single. I'm not saying you have to move on so fast but how are y'all now even together anymore and he has so much power over you?"

"I don't know. I'm trying to not let it be like that, it's just hard. I haven't been alone in so long."

"First of all you have to stop playing house with him. That's why he thinks he can still have some typa input on your life. It's fine to be friends but y'all are way too buddy, buddy."

"I've been giving him space. I only stayed at the house a few days because you had company and I didn't wanna be in your way."

"I figured you would stay with Ki or Zion, not him. I definitely thought you would've checked into a hotel room before going to stay with him."