Problem Child had a problematic childhood

AKA 5 times Midoriya Izuku showed concerning behaviors and 1 time Aizawa Shouta acted on it

Shouta was concerned for his Problem Child. The boy seemed to pull away no matter what he did. He could use his gentlest voice and the kid would still slightly flinch, like he was scared but couldn't show it.

Just what has his Problem Child gone through?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was one of those rare days when Shouta only had to teach his homeroom class, as most of his Law and Ethics students were out for the day, choosing not to go to the elective after their midterms.

The man had nothing to do but wait until lunch was over so he could teach his Hell Spawns and he didn't know what to do with it. He had no paper work from patrol, no essays to grade, no tests to make– nothing. So, he decided, regrettably, to watch his students' usual classes.

He wanted to make sure they behaved for other teachers and not just him. He can use his quirk to scare the kids, but the other teachers can't. He did his homeroom announcements and slumped into his sleeping bag, not actually sleeping.

Once the bell rang all of his students got back in their original seats, they had moved around to talk to friends until the bell. He didn't leave the room like he usually would and noticed some sideways glances at him, but he just ignored the students in favor of observing them.

When Nemuri walked in to see him lying on the floor she just shook her head and greeted the class. The kids greeted her nicely, immediately falling silent while waiting for her to start the lesson.

The rest of the day went similarly: teachers walk in and give him a shake of the head or don't acknowledge him, students greet the teacher and are well behaved during the class, then the bell rings and the students talk until the passing period is over.

He was pleased with his students until the class before lunch, English, began. His students were fairly good in English, some fluent and some in need of tutoring, but they were all at a good level. Except Problem Child, of course. Shouta helped his husband grade their tests, as the answers were simple and Shouta wasn't fluent in it like Hizashi was.

He had seen Problem Child's scores, never more than three questions wrong on a test. It had been his best subject so far into the school year, so why did he look so scared when Hizashi walked into the room?

Hizashi went on to greet his students, in English of course. They all greeted him back as they had every other teacher, besides Midoriya. Midoriya kept his head down, never looking at Hizashi directly, or for too long.

The boy's greeting had seemed oddly quiet when compared to those he gave other teachers, which didn't make sense if you took in the fact that he was practically fluent in the language. Shouta watched the boy closely for that class, noticing the way his leg was constantly bouncing and hands wringing together. He never raised his hand, despite muttering the answers under his breath, and Hizashi never called on him.

Even if the boy was never called on, he was always biting his lip and curling in on himself, trying to make himself seem smaller whenever the man scanned the room for hands. The kid seemed anxious, but not in a way he did in his other classes.

That anxiety was about getting answers right or wrong, not about being chosen to answer. This anxiety seemed bad, like- like he was preparing for the worst; preparing to get ridiculed and laughed at for being called on. Shouta had to wonder why the boy was acting the way he was, especially since his teacher is Hizashi, a man who never said your name unless your hand was raised or to collect papers from the front.